Brinsea Octagon 40. Xmas present. Yey

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tracy the chick, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Ok guys my husband got me my very first incubater for xmas! [​IMG] ive never hatched chicks before and was wondering if anybody else uses one of these who can buddy me when i start my first hatch? Is there a bird anyone suggests is easy to hatch lol? Ive read the instructions over & over and it makes it sound so easy [​IMG] lol...im also not sure if my 2 bantam cockerals would mate with my giant buff orpingtons? Thats another post lol.. Tracy.xxc

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. shelleen

shelleen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I don't have that particular brand of incubator, but I've had successful hatches out of a homemade (Styro cooler) incubator and another commercial one. And I might add I had "issues" with both (temp spikes/lows, humidity,etc). Just hang in there till the end...or a couple of days past (mine hatched over a 5 day period, not ideal, but they lived!)

As for the banty boys, mine have never had trouble "doing the deed" on big girls. Buff hens are so laid back that I'm sure it would work. You may not have 100% fertility, but again, you may be surprised.

Good luck on your new endeavor, and watch out, it's addicting!

3. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Thanks shelleen thats good to know. Ive been told its very addicting lol.. Im not sure even if my cockeral is mating with them yet as hes only 22 weeks.. I cant wait to switch it on lol.x

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ooohh. Congrats on your new toy. Also on your lovely generous husband. What a sweetie to get you such a nice incubator! The Brinseas are excellent. I've got an Octagon 20, which is basically the same but just half the size of the 40. There are two different styles of Octagon available. Have you got the one with the temp knob to adjust or the one with the digital panel with temp readout and control?

I'd be happy to help you out at all, but there are also loads of threads on here about the brinseas, so if you do a quick search you'll probably find lots of useful tips and info on how to get the best out of them. Also remember to register your bator online at Brinsea.com to extend your 12 month guarantee to a 24 month guarantee!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't have a Brinsea incubator but have heard a lot of good things about them. Your boy may or may not be mating the girls. He is a little young. I would suggest for your first hatch if you don't have any eggs maybe if you have some friends with chickens who might have fertile eggs if they would part with some. Some friends of mine gave me some barnyard mixed eggs for my first hatch. I gave what chicks hatched back to them. I had the humidity to high and had only about 60% hatch.

6. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    What a sweet husband! I love Brinsea products and am sure you will love your new incubator! Blessings to you and your future hatches!!!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by