Brinsea Octagon Eco 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RoosterDon, Nov 24, 2014.

1. RoosterDon

RoosterDon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    Austin Texas
    I know there are threads specifically for incubators. But it is hard to find my answers. So as not to bore other people, can someone personally message me who has one of these WITHOUT the autoturning device.

We just got one and will be turning them ourselves.

I have used the Brinsea Mini before and am confused about the turning the eggs part. Specifically, when you load the eggs, BIG SIDE UP, what type of turning is actually done? Do you spin the eggs? or do you turn them over and over? If you want to keep the BIG SIDE UP, then what does turning them do if they remain BIG SIDE UP after you finish turning?

Or, if people want to respond here that is awesome too. Thank you.

Also, any other tidbits or suggestions would be awesome as well.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Hi! I had mine without a cradle at first. Actually the entire incubator is made to be rocked back and forth onto the flat edges. So you put it tilted forward, then put it tilted back, then tilted forward etc. If this is hard to imagine I can get a picture when I'm home from work.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I have one with the turning cradle, but I've used it with and without. When I use it without I "spin" the eggs by hand, clockwise, then anti-clockwise etc. If you set them upright you need to tilt the eggs, leaning them at a 45 degree angle, then upright, then leaning the opposite direction, then upright again, etc. You can do this by either placing the eggs in an egg carton and propping up the carton, or by turning the entire unit in it's side, as the above poster explained.

4. RoosterDon

RoosterDon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    Austin Texas
    is the point of turning the eggs clockwise and counter clockwise just to keep them from sticking to the egg? since they are left in basically the same position less a few degrees, it seems like that is the reason why. when you turn the incubator onto one of the next flat sides, do you leave it after that one move? or do you rock it to and fro several times?

am i making this a lot more complicated then it really is?

with our MINI, the turner was broken so i simply turned the eggs a half turn every hour or so, sometimes it was hours before a turn, like during the night. we still hatched four out of seven. so i think i am worrying too much.

but better safe then sorry?

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    When you turn it you leave it. Yes, the turning keeps the embryo from sticking to the side of the egg, and also facilitates the growth of the blood vessel network. Turn it to the side, leave it there a few hours, and then turn it back again. Try to turn an odd number of times a day so that they spend each night on the opposite side that they did the night before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by