Brinsea Octagon models: Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HighDesertHen, May 18, 2011.

1. HighDesertHen

HighDesertHen New Egg

May 18, 2011
    I am a new poultry person and am considering the purchase of a Brinsea Octagon incubator. Given my lack of experience, I find myself wondering a lot about the role of humidity control in the process. One of the reasons for this is because I live in a very dry area and it is not uncommon for the relative humidity to be in the single digits or low teens.
    So, my question is this: Of the three Brinsea models available, the Eco, Advance and Advance EX what would you recommend for a first-time incubator dealing with low humidities and a full work schedule? I'd like to keep costs down, but if the Advance or Advance EX really does a much better job, then I'd rather make the investment.
    For now, I will use the incubator on chicken eggs.
    Thank you for your thoughts!

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

I use the Eco and I just fill one well for 18 days and on lock down I fill both wells and ad a sponge in the well. I have the auto turner. My last hatch I had 8 of 8 hatch time before 14 of 18 hatch and both were shipped eggs. So if ya want to keep costs down. And something easy Eco would be your way. Now the others I don't think u have to do anything. Good Luck!!

3. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I upgraded from the Brinsea Mini Advance, which did not have humidity control, to the Brinsea Octagon 20 EX with humidity pump. You can set the humidity and you don't have to worry about until you reset it at lockdown. I had a great hatch, and love that I didn't have to worry about the humidity AT ALL. If you can afford the extra expense, just go for the whole enchilada and get the EX model.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have THREE Brinsea Octagon20 Advance EX models, two MiniAdvance EX models, and a MiniAdvance. I highly recommend the EX models. If you don't want to go for the humidity pump right now, just get the Advance model; those can be upgraded to the EX later. The Eco models CANNOT be upgraded except with the auto-turn cradle.

5. HighDesertHen

HighDesertHen New Egg

May 18, 2011
    Thank you all for the insightful comments. I must admit that I am tempted to go with the cock pot, "set it and forget it" EX approach because I hope it will reduce the chances of operator error. This said, buying a top-of-the line unit as a new enthusiast gives me pause.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It should not give you pause, really. Now, if you bought a Brinsea 190 or other CABINET incubator, that would be a bit much for a new enthusiast. [​IMG]

7. HighDesertHen

HighDesertHen New Egg

May 18, 2011
    Quote:Linda:
    You do have a point, there. [​IMG] Almost makes spending $400 on a starter incubator sound, well, modest.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by