Brinsea Octo and GQF Sportsman bators, where are the cheapest ones at?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by k2chickens, Dec 8, 2009.

1. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Been looking for them and i really can't find any good trustworthy sites to go on with good prices. Best sportsman i remember finding was $630 "don't know if shipping was included". I did find an Octo 20 ex by brinsea with humidity pump for $370 plus shipping, but i was not to sure about the website.

With a few hatches under my belt, i decided to sell my LG and go for the big time. Now realistically i didn't want to spend more than the $400 range simply because hatching more than 50 to 100 eggs at a time is a long shot for myself "at least untill i get larger quarters for more banties [​IMG]". Since the octo 20 ex can only do in the 20 range with standard hen eggs " a few more with banties", it's just under what i wanted to have on hand for hatching. But then the Digital LCD GQF Sportsman 1502 can hold ALOT more eggs than what im aiming for, also the price shoot's way out of my range. So i have a few questions.

Question 1. With buying an Digital Octo 20 ex for around 400 bucks with humid. pump, i would probably get a Genisis 1588 hovabator to be used as a hatcher. Reason why i would do that is because i have yet to hear of anyone hatching inside the Octo 20 ex. So with "let's say" 25 eggs in the Octo, i could also incubate another 15 eggs inside the Hova right alongside the Octo. That put's me at 40, maybe a little more, during the entire incubation. Total would come to around 550 with shipping and total price of my hova hatcher.

Question 2. With spending $550 on the above pkg. to only hatch around 40 egg's, don't you think i should just bite the bullet and buy the GQF 1502 with the LCD readout and digital operation once i save up enough cash??

Question 3. Can you hatch inside the GQF 1502?? Like can you stop the rotaion of the tray's and put one tray in the middle to lay all your eggs on there sides to hatch while the incubator continues to regulate humid. and temp? I've seen a few pictures of people hatching inside their sportsman's, but didn't know if it was recommended.

Thanks for reading and i hope you guy's can shed some light on my situation.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    With a 1611 turner, you should be able to get 41 eggs in the hovabator.

Why don't folks hatch in the Brinsea?

I've got one coming tomorrow....

I plan on doing 65 eggs in both starting this Friday for my New Years Hatch.

3. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    For ? #2 - save the money for the Sportsman. You won't regret it.

For ? 3- I have a separate hatcher, but unless I have several hundred eggs hatching I usually don't run it. You can hatch in the #1502. I just take the whole egg tray holding the eggs(I have individual egg trays that hold 59 bantam eggs, I get 2 of the egg holders in 1 of the 1502 trays) and place it in the bottom of the incubator..and turn the tuner back on. I have no problems hatching this way.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

If you want to save $, I would suggest you look for a used Sportsman. Just a thought. I vote Sportsman.

5. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:Well that's good to hear. Is there a way to run the incubator while the auto egg trays are turned off?? Where is a good place to buy one and have it shipped to my house?

Quote:i know, ive been looking, just have yet to find one near me. [​IMG] How is the one you just bought working out??

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  6. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    There's a nice Dickey advertised in the For Sale section...

7. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Also, go to Craigslist and check all the Indiana listings...there was one on there just last week. I bought the Humidaires so I did not buy it.

8. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    You could try www.brinsea.com they have online deals all the time. Just keep an eye on the website.

Click the red dot to get the web only sales.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  9. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:not really, ive been keeping an eye on the site for a while now and everything is SO expensive strait from that website.

10. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Quote:not really, ive been keeping an eye on the site for a while now and everything is SO expensive strait from that website.

Sorry didnt know you were watching that site. They had some good deals during or right after summer was over. I was going to buy one but didnt have the money to get it then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by