Brinsea Octogon 20 ECO or Genesis 1588? Please help me decide...

ChanceRider

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Somerset, CA
I've decided to take the leap into incubating turkey eggs and need help deciding on which incubator I "need". It's between the Brinsea Octogon 20 ECO or the Hovabator Genesis 1588.

Please help me decide... I'm a complete and total newbie to incubating! The fact that the Brinsea only does 24 eggs isn't a factor...

Help?

Quote:
No brainer here BRINSEA ECO all the way

I could not resist it myself, I,ve got LG, my first bator, then larger homemade bator working better than any styrofoam bator,

but I ordered Brinsea eco yesterday and I am getting it tomorrow.
The introductory price of $99 bucks is a bargain for quality bator, and will not last long.

Brinsea bators are known as "set it and forget it" bators. You will never worry about temp fluctuations and you can clean it in dishwasher.

Great for beginners. Syrofoam bators require skills, constant attention, are difficult to clean, ironically most newbees start with styrofoam bator and many get discouraged with results.

I would NEVER pay $150 + for piece of styrofoam, when you can get Brinsea quality for same price (assuming you buy it with the turner - autocraddle).

I was initially held back by only 24 egg capacity by Brinsea ECO, but then I realised I am hatching mostly Bantams now, so I could probably put 30 to 40 Bantam eggs in it!

WHY WOULD YOU BUY FORD PINTO WHEN YOU CAN GET A CADILLAC for same money ?????

Let me know what you think when you get it. I like the dishwasher safe part, that is cool! The 1588 is similar in that it is preset and you don't have to touch the dial, it automatically heats to the right temp and holds steady. You only have to add water for humidity, which it sounds like you have to do for the brinsea. edited to add, I see the brinsea has a water reservoir

I like that the 1588 holds more eggs, but it is not dishwasher safe. I don't like the egg turner the 1588 comes with, they are cheap and a pain, fall apart everytime you move them. Anyone use the turner for the brinsea? How is it? I was going to order another 1588 here shortly, but am tempted to try the brinsea. Anyone try goose eggs in it? Will they fit?

Last edited:
barnie.gif
Dang! I finally decide to go with the Brinsea and have tried a few times to place an order but keep getting an error message on their website
th.gif
. Guess I'll practice patience and just give them a call in the morning.

Thanks to everyone for your replies! I can't wait to try incubating some turkey eggs.

Quote:
Vicky, I've been eyeballing Brinsea bators long time, but they were always much more expensive.

I'll surely let you know my impression with mine when it arrives.

Yes, they say goose eggs will fit.
If you want turner Brinsea sells "autocraddle" for about 50 bucks.
This thing is unique for Brinsea only, it is a craddle which tilts the whole bator back and forth, this way there is no vibrations caused by turners like LG or Hovabator.

I did not order it I may in the future, for now I plan to tilt the ECO bator myself 3 times a day.

In one of the first hatches in my homemade bator I had a hova turner, but there was more eggs than turner could accept, so I dumped them in available space around never turned them, most of them still hatched, but they were my own, not shipped eggs.

wee.gif
Woohoo! Just placed my order for the Brinsea Octagon 20 with the autoturn cradle. If I'm this excited at just buying the 'bator, I'm gonna be intolerable when I have eggs in it!

In about 5 days I can start stalking the mail delivery truck...

Back
Top Bottom