Brinsea Octogon 40 DX problem anyone have any information

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flocksalot, Mar 17, 2012.

1. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    Hi I recently purchased a Brinsea Octogon 40DX. I also have a Brinsea Eco20 that works awesome and have never had a problem with it. I've used the 40 once with very mixed results. I had 48 eggs to start, 3 weren't fertile, 26 hatched over 2 days, and the rest were all dead in the shell. Humidity was fine. I've never had a hatch like this. Even with my old Hova Bator. Ok so I cleaned it out and went to set it up for the eggs that I recently received and thankfully I'm a by the book Bob. The temp was up to 110 in about ten minutes. At first I thought no way this is a Brinsea, but 6 different types of thermometers don't lie all at the same time. So here I sit with 52 eggs that need to go into an incubator. My Eco is on lock down with 2 days to go and I couldn't fit that may eggs in there anyway.

So do you have any clue as to what I can do to fix this bugger? Yeah I know Brinsea will repair it under warrenty, but the thing is those eggs weren't cheap and I would like to hatch them. If no ideas is there anyone near me, Poynette Wisconsin, with a decent bator to put these in? I would gladly pay. I really just want my eggs to become chicks. I knew I should have bought the ReptiPro instead. I'm so bummed out. To top it off my current broody had all bad eggs, which we knew, but when we slipped some chicks under her she chose to only mother some and mangle the others. I have one poor baby missing all her fuzz and skin off her back. It's lying on the floor in the broody coop. Most of the others were pecked in the eye. The two she is keeping she LOVES and is protective off. I think my husband slipped her a few too many. I keep telling him HANDS OFF, but now he gets to see why.

Anyway if anyone has any info for the crappy bator let me know, otherwise I fear my eggs will all go bad before they approve me returning it and then they will take their time fixing and reshipping.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    OK for anyone else that experiences this problem I'll let you know how I resolved it for now.

I took the top off and took a look at the circuit board. It appears that some of the moisture that was trapped between the two walls of the top got all the way up onto the circuit board and caused it to continue to heat ( I kept shutting it off at 110 F, but who knows how hot it would have gotten) which in my opinion and my husbands would be a fire hazard. Well that and had I have put eggs in there they would have exploded all over the place. So if you experience something like this you could try what I did. I was able to get all the moisture out and get everything reset. I set my eggs at midnight and hopefully will have a good hatch. I would also think long and hard about getting this particular model. You have to flip it at least onto its side in order to clean it with a damp cloth, and that would cause the excess moisture to end up on the circuit board. So I'm left with either not cleaning it or tearing it apart every time I want to use it. Not such a good choice either way. Hope you have better luck than I.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by