1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brinsea Octogon Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AlleysFarm, Dec 31, 2012.

1. AlleysFarm

AlleysFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    Any thoughts on this model? I'm currently using a borrowed Hova Bator but found a deal for a Brinsea Octagon 20 digital on a local selling board for $150.. I'm planning on hatching more eggs and in the spring hatching out some ducks if my Pekin's get their act together. [​IMG]

Any pro or cons to this model?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

We recently bought another 20, from Brinsea, shipped to the house for less than that. Brinsea puts them on sale, then, use a discount code, and get yet another 10% off. So unless you're looking at a more deluxe model with auto turning, but since you said digital, I'm assuming this model is priced somewhat higher?

As for the unit itself, it is extremely accurate on temperature and successful hatching is fairly predictable. Success rates are very, very high. It doesn't have the world's greatest head room for hatched chicks, but it has established a large fan base here on BYC.

3. farmgirl44

farmgirl44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    I just got a brinsea 20 eco and I LOVE IT!

It's easy to use, easy to turn (just tilt bator, no need to open) its all plastic (easy to clean and holds temp better), i like the eggholding system, its a series of bars that are adjustable!

the only cons i have found is it is hard to get humidity up without putting some pieces of felt in the water wells to wick up water

4. AlleysFarm

AlleysFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    Yes it has an auto turner.. it was a classroom model that was never used so not sure how much more advanced it is.. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by