Brinsea Or Gqf Sportsman?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TarHeelBlue, May 1, 2011.

1. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I have the Brinsea incubator that holds 24 eggs and already have run out of room!!! (yes, I have become an addict!) I want to move up to a small cabinet incubator but not sure which one to get. Anybody with information or experience with these? (and yes, I know you can build one, but getting that done is almost impossible ) SO which one would you get and why? [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Have you thought of a Dickey? http://dickeyincubators.com/ I have the incubator which is 3 turning trays and 1 hatching tray. I've had it over a month and love it. The temp holds steady even with the +/- 5-10 degree temp swings we had in the room. Im getting great hatches out of it. I was deciding between the sportsman 1502 or the Dickey, and went with the Dickey because I haven't heard a bad thing about it. Plus I wanted a wood incubator and the new 1502's are made from that plastic stuff.

3. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I'll check those out. Thanks. [​IMG] why did you want a wooden incubator?? What's the advantage?

4. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:I don't know, I just wanted a wooden one. [​IMG] Not sure if there is an advantage. But I have heard about people getting their new sportsmens and opening the box up and the plastic the incubator being made out of is broken or crushed, so I figured it most not be that durable, or the packing really stunk.

5. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Colorado
    +1 on the Dickey. I also have a Brinsea that is too small for my needs. I came very close to getting the 1502, but after lots of research, I decided on the Dickey. The Dickey is hand made, and nice and solid. Plus, they are about a $100 cheaper. The one thing I really liked about the 1502 was the digital thermostat. I wanted something solid. My electronic thermostat on my Dickey has been just as accurate and rock solid as my Brinsea, which I think says a lot.
    I got the plexiglass door and love it.
    [​IMG]
    I do have the auto humidity set up, but after my first hatch I no longer use it. I have gotten to where I prefer dryer incubation methods.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  6. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the pic, Thunderwagn!! Now I really can't make up my mind [​IMG] I appreciate all the help. That setup looks nice. Why do you go for the dryer incubation rather than with humidity???

7. SundownWaterfowl

I've been doing dry incubation in my Dickey also. The first batch I used the humidity it says to in the directions, and the eggs didn't lose enough moisture. The humidity stays around 18% without adding any water.

8. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Colorado
    Thanks for the pic, Thunderwagn!! Now I really can't make up my mind

My pleasure:lol:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by