Brinsea ovation 28 ex humidity issues - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sueiris, Mar 13, 2017.

1. sueiris

sueiris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Southern New Jersey
    Just purchased. put it together according to directions. humidity is stuck at 17% despite setting it higher and fixing tubes as they are supposed to be. getting frustrated.

:-( Any suggestions?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Is that the built in gauge reading that? I'd double check with another hygrometer and see if it's the digital display that's stuck and if so I would report it to Brinsea so they can tell you what to do or get it fixed for you.

3. sueiris

Apr 3, 2009
    Southern New Jersey
    I don't see any water coming through the tubing. I've contacted them and awaiting a reply. frustrating.

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Could be a problem with the humidity pump then :( Can you add some water directly to the incubator and see if the reading changes? If so you'll know it's a humidity pump issue.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Not sure on how the ovations work, but have you ensured that there's no air in the tubing? I know that if one doesn't remove air in the tubing of other Brinsea's then the it cannot pump water into the bator.

6. jade1

jade1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Just got one myself, was dubious when I put the tubing on but works fine. If you watch mine for a while you see occasional drips out of tube onto channel. Do you have photos- I'll try to help?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  7. sueiris

Apr 3, 2009
    Southern New Jersey
    i was wondering about that. it doesn't say anything in the directions about that though. how do you do that?

8. sueiris

Apr 3, 2009
    Southern New Jersey
    did you do something to keep air out of the tubing?

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I just sucked the on the tube till the water came, then connected it (keeping the end pinched, so no air would get back in).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  10. sueiris

Apr 3, 2009
    Southern New Jersey
    got off the phone with Brinsea again. The guy told me that there may be tiny pinholes in my tubing. I changed tubing and it looks like the unit is operating. I asked him about sucking (as I did try this last night) and he said that that shouldn't be needed. Fingers crossed this continues to work. Thanks for your feedback. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by