Brinsea Ovation 58 Hatchalong

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by HeritageHenNut, May 26, 2018.

1. HeritageHenNut

HeritageHenNut Songster

Dec 20, 2015
    Valhalla, AB, Canada
    So this will be my first real hatch in my new Brinsea Ovation incubator. I'll be posting updates on this thread and to share how it performs. I couldn't find a lot of reviews of this incubator when I was deciding on which one to purchase, so here we go.

Set: 27 Swedish Duck Eggs, 17 Salmon Faverolles eggs & 16 Partridge Silkie eggs for a grand total of 60 eggs.

Day 7 - Today. So far Duck eggs are 25/27 showing good fertility and 2 that are iffy so they are staying in for the moment. Added Chicken eggs.

Humidity is holding between 35-40% with the vent full open and only one water well in use. I've set turning to every 90 minutes.

What I like - Turning is very smooth so there is no jarring of the eggs and the incubator runs nice and quietly so it can stay in the livingroom and not be a disturbance.

What I don't like - no easy way to quickly lift the lid, you have to remove it completely to add water/candle because of how the lid notches into the turner. But its a minor annoyance.

So far very pleased with this.

ButteCA and penny1960 like this.
  2. HeritageHenNut

HeritageHenNut Songster

Dec 20, 2015
    Valhalla, AB, Canada
    Candling on Day 12 For duck eggs & day 7 for Chicken.

25/27 Duck eggs are going strong, removed the 2 clears.

18/18 Silkie eggs going strong.

11/14 Faverolles eggs looking good. 1 clear & 2 blood rings. (oldest eggs set)

Humidity is still holding steady around 35-40%, and very pleased so far with it's performance. Super quiet.

3. HeritageHenNut

HeritageHenNut Songster

Dec 20, 2015
    Valhalla, AB, Canada
    image.jpg

Gone into lock down today,
    24 Duck eggs & 33 chicken eggs. (Added 6 silkie eggs from a broody that abandoned them). So 51 of the originally set eggs have made it to lock down.

KittyCat13 likes this.
  4. Chichero

Chichero Songster

Apr 9, 2017
    USA
    How did it go? I have a mini ex. But want a ova 58.

5. HeritageHenNut

HeritageHenNut Songster

Dec 20, 2015
    Valhalla, AB, Canada
    I ended up with 19/24 ducks hatched & 28/33 chicken eggs.

TxToxDoc likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: