Brinsea owners: humidity question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DFCottage, Mar 9, 2011.

1. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Hi all..I've got a new Brinsea Eco 20 that I'm in love with. I've got staggered hatches going in 2 bators and just moved 14 developed eggs from the hovabator to the Brinsea (that has been running for 2 days to assure temp/humidity) for lockdown. Before I moved them I filled both wells as per the instructions, but only got to 62% humidity. I then stuck in a paper towel partially in 1 well for more surface area, and it didn't change much.. It seems to be holding at 62.. Should I just leave it and not worry, or try to raise it? If I should raise it, what's the best way with these bators?

Thanks!

2. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I use humidity pads. Got them on Ebay. [​IMG]

I'd say 62 would probably be fine though.

3. DFCottage

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    I just now saw the other thread with someone else in almost the same position as me.. A maxi pad was suggested, or a sponge. I think I'll let it sit tonight and then see where it is in the am. (that'll be just 10 hours into lockdown, so hopefully there won't be any pips yet!) I'd feel better if I could hit 65+...

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I think 62% is fine.

5. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Where do you have the vent setting during lockdown? I go into lockdown Tuesday with my Brinsea... I'm shooting for 60% humidity.

6. DFCottage

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Right now it's between 1/3 and 1/2 open. When they start hatching I'm sure I'll need to open it more.. But I need to re-check the directions to see what Brinsea recommends for airflow during hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by