Brinsea Spot Check Thermo

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enggass, Mar 2, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    How are people using this with the Oct 20 Eco? Probing through the air vent?

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I have an Rcom not a Brinsea but I poke mine through the air vent and then when it's at the desired height I tape the rest to the front of the incubator. I love it for the peace of mind it gives me.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Yup the probe fits right through the air vent hole. I taped the body of the thermometer to the top of the Brinsea so that I don't have to keep threading the probe into the right place when I want to check on the temps. I turn the Spot Check off between checking to save the battery. It works great!

4. enggass

enggass Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Do you find the built in Water in Glass Thermo to be fairly accurate when comparing the two?

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have the Advance model so there is a digital display on the top of the bator for temp/humidity. I am assuming that what is sensing the temperature is inside of the top part. What I have found is that the temperature is about a degree warmer at the top of the bator than it is down by the eggs. I had to adjust the temperature on my unit to 100.6 to get the temperature to 99.6 at the tops of the eggs. Once I did that, I haven't had to adjust the temperature again. The first time I hatched eggs, they started hatching a day late and finished hatching on day 25 since the temp was low the whole time of incubation.
    ETA - what part of Maine you from if you don't mind me asking? I grew up in Yarmouth until about the age of 10 then moved to MA.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: