1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BRINSEA VS GQF!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GAChicken Chick, Feb 23, 2013.

1. GQF Genesis Hovabator (with turner)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco (with turner)

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. GAChicken Chick

GAChicken Chick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Toccoa, GA
    If you live in Georgia I wanted to know which does better, a GQF Genesis #1588 hovabator or a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco (both with turner)?? I'm pricing each at around the same price. I just want to see how each one does in Georgia climate and which one I should go for!

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    The Brinsea is easier to clean and IMHO will last longer than the styrofoam bator . Unless you plan on hatching 40 chicks at one time go with the Brinsea. I am going to buy a King Suro on Ebay in the fall/winter. I used to own a foam bator and they stain and get damaged easy.

3. GAChicken Chick

Dec 30, 2012
    Toccoa, GA
    Also I forgot to ask how easy is each one to operate? I need something EASY since I've never dealt with bators before. And something accurate!

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    THe one i will get is digital control. I think the newer Genesis are as well, but watch out there are still old ones out there and i dont know how those are controlled. The Brinsea Eco 20 is preset to 99.5 F but you can adjust the temp manually. You have to use the supplied thermometer or get your own reg. or digital one.

5. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I'm toying with the idea of getting an incubator myself..I've been looking at the Genesis 1588 w/auto turner and digital therm/humidity control..

I have a brinsea eco glow 20, (not incubator/ a heater for the brooder) that I love!

I'm finding the Genesis to be substantially cheaper than the Octagon 20,,can I ask where your seeing the the Brinsea around the same price as the genesis??

I'm finding the genesis on ebay w/ turner for around 187 plus ship when all is said and done,,the octagon with turner I'm seeing at around 300..

Thanks for sharing place of purchase if your willing:)
    Diane

6. GAChicken Chick

Dec 30, 2012
    Toccoa, GA
    On Meyer Hatchery Website I found the Genesis w. turner plus one $7 book I want for $212 after shipping, on Brinsea website I put the Octagon Eco 20 model# USAE21C for $149.00 and the optional auto-turn cradle model# USAD20C for $69.99 into cart, then apply the 10% code that I have and after it calculates shipping it comes out to $234.95. Its not digital like the advanced model, but it has a turner. I still need to find a thermometer/hygrometer

7. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
  8. GAChicken Chick

Dec 30, 2012
    Toccoa, GA
    The genesis says something about having 12-volt bator??? Does that use a ton of electricity?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by