Brinsea vs. heat lamp

Robinkay1

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 21, 2014
NJ
Hi all,

This is my first time raising baby chicks and I have question about heat source: I brought my baby chicks home yesterday and used a 250 watt heat lamp above the brooder. Chicks seemed happy, would go closer or farther from the heat lamp as needed and were hopping and pecking all around the brooder. The Brinsea warmer I ordered (seems so much safer/no fire hazard!) arrived today and I replaced the heat lamp with the Brinsea. Now the chicks huddle under the Brinsea for most of the time, they come out to eat and drink and then go back under the warmer. Is the Brinsea not giving off enough heat? Why are they colder? Should I use the heat lamp instead?

Thanks,

Robin

If your chicks are young, this is pretty normal. If they were with a hen, you wouldn't see them that often. But, it is possible that the Brisnea is, in fact, cooler (highly possible) and that's not a bad thing. A 250 watt lamp can put off a good amount of heat, and make the whole brooder warmer in general.
The Brisnea is simulating the natural way of brooding. If they are coming out and eating and drinking, and not hollering their heads off, they're fine :)

Thanks, Nikki. That makes sense. They do seem happy when they come out to eat and peck around the brooder :)

Back
Top Bottom