Brinsea vs. Hova-Bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jenperk74, Mar 5, 2013.

1. jenperk74

jenperk74 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2013
    Durham, NC
    Howdy, hen friends! I am new to hatching eggs and I am having a difficult time making a decision between a Brinsea Eco 20 and a Genisis 1588 Hova-Bator. Mind sharing your experiences and/or opinions about the two? Many thanks!

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I back Brinsea all the way. I've lost several hundred dollars of eggs on a hovabator, trying to get away with spending less money. Finally I had to give in and just admit that some things are just worth paying a little extra for.

The Brinsea I have now is the Octo (no autoturner), and it is amazing. You don't have to open the unit to hand-turn eggs, which limits bacteria infections. It also holds temperatures rock steady, and is very faithful. I will never go back to Hovabators (which are very high maintenance with temperature fluxuations.)

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I had an LG and then moved up to a Hovabator. It holds temperature steady, Any adjustments you want to do are extremely easy as the turn key isn't over sensitive; 360 degree turn changes temp 2F up or down. Very easy to dial the temp in and leave it.

But then I don't have the 1588 model which folks rave about as it's preset for temperature. I don't mind dialing in the wafer thermostat on the less expensive models and have the utmost confidence it will hold steady. Proven hatching of 85% and cost me less than $80 for a new in box old stock model picture window.

4. jenperk74

jenperk74 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2013
    Durham, NC
    This one sealed the deal:

Brinsea Octagon 20 ECO Auto Turn Egg Incubator
    Appreciate everyone's input!! Can't wait to hatch some eggs! [​IMG]

5. BayGoose

BayGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    PA
    Good choice! I love my brinsea eco.

6. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    [​IMG] Brinsea

7. Ashmaxwell

Ashmaxwell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2013
    Where did you get your brinsea from?? I am trying to find me one now. I would really like to find a used one, but I know many people don't want to part with them. Even though they are expensive they are well worth it in the end!!

8. Ashmaxwell

Apr 21, 2013
    Can you recommend a good place to look for incubators at? The only place I know of is the brinsea website. I wish there were stores that sold incubators instead of just the little giant ones or the hovabators. I would love to be able to look at them in person and compare them!

9. gingerly1983

gingerly1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Grand Ridge, Fl
    When I was incubator shopping, I found that Amazon had the cheapest prices for the Brinsea. I did eventually decide on the HovaBator Genesis though.

10. Ashmaxwell

Apr 21, 2013
    If anyone has a used brinsea or hovabator for sale please let me know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by