Brinsea vs hovabator and farm innovations

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by leeandy91, Jan 8, 2014.

1. leeandy91

leeandy91 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2013
    I am looking to start incubating my chicken and quail eggs and want to get an incubator I have been looking at prices and reviews but don't know how much truth there is to them. I want a quality item that is going to have a good hatch rate, is easy to operate, and that holds temp and humidity well. Want personal opinions on brinsea, hovabator, little giant, and farm innovations
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. Coopnana

Coopnana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    north Idaho
    We are 2 days from hatch day...7 in Brinsea Mini Advance and 4 in the LG....will post you the results... fingers crossed...and nervous... :fl

3. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Out of 24 that made it to lockdown 21 hatched fine the end of last summer, 3 eggs didn't make it, one was an early quitter and two died before they pipped.. I have the hova bator 1602N Still air. My only problem was keeping the humidity stable, discovered early on to dry hatch...I'm getting ready to place more eggs tomorrow, got it warming up, temp is holding at 99.5-100.5 which is perfect, Humidity is around 15% but again, nothing is in there...Going to see if like last time adding the eggs causes the Humidity to jump to normal. Curious if incubating chicks in winter will make a difference. We have wood heat only and this time I am doing the incubation in my front room (stove is in family room) instead of spare room that gets no heat.I keep temps in the house around 75 during the day, typical to what it is in here in summer.

But I digress, you asked if I like it...Yes, I love my little Hova Bator [​IMG]

Edited for errors

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  4. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Also, a lot depends on what you are willing to spend... My pocketbook wasn't very thick and the Hova bator fits my price range.

5. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I recommend brinsea. I use my mini advanced very heavily and have used an octagon Eco in the past. Both worked great. Hatched a lot of birds out for me. From quails to geese. I've used a hovabator genesis in the past too, and I found it to be accurate. I'd go with either of those. I'd stay away from the Little Giants though. Those incubators were a pain! Lots of temp spikes and you have to constantly keep an eye on them. I'd just go with any brinsea, either their ecos or advanced, depending on how much you're willing to spend. And the hovabator genesis. Good luck :)

6. emzgogo

emzgogo New Egg

Sep 28, 2013
    Ulverston,England
    Loving my Brinsea octagon 20eco with cradle ( Also has by far the best customer care) I have just put 12 eggs in it tonight holds temps and humidity i dont look at i just fill one chanel then two on lockdown. Also atm they have a fantastic deal on omlet Sales :) (£127 with cradle £89 without. I will have to say its defo the must have incubator in my opinion.

7. dfreas

dfreas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2014
    I've got the Farm Innovations and so far it is great. I'm only on day 5 of my first batch so I can't say much about hatch rates but the temp has been rock solid and humidity has been easy to keep steady as well. It's cheaper than the hovabator by quite a bit. The main criticism you hear in all the reviews is that the built in thermometer and hygrometer are inaccurate and that is absolutely true - they aren't just a little off - they are a LOT off. But "Reference Only" is printed in big red letters on them and a separate glass thermometer is provided to be placed in the incubator which IS accurate. Honestly you are going to get a second thermometer to check the accuracy of any incubator's built in thermometer anyway, so I don't see this as a huge negative as long as you are aware of it.

I saved $75 by going with the FI instead of the Hova, and a $3 digital thermometer/hygrometer solved the only issue it has. Seems like a deal to me. Of course if money isn't an issue the general consensus seems to be Hovabator.

8. leeandy91

leeandy91 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2013
    It looks like we are going with brinsea octo 20 with cradle Eco now hopefully I can figure out how it works when we finally order it lol thanks to everyone for the help Brinsea seemed to have the best reviews all around the other incubators seem to be getting called egg cookers which makes me a little nervous.

9. emzgogo

emzgogo New Egg

Sep 28, 2013
    Ulverston,England
    Extremely easy to use you will be very happy with your purchase. Mine is on right now just over two weeks to hatch candling tomorrow so fingers and toes crossed. Good luck an happy hatching :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by