1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

brinsea vs hovabator in humidity level

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by esme13, Jan 28, 2015.

1. esme13

esme13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2014
    New York
    I had a few questions about two incubators that i'm considering getting. One is which incubator holds humidity levels better in ny state? My humidity level already inside is 20-25 which is very dry! and at a consistent temp of 74 in my house. So I know I need an incubator that holds temp and humidity steady.

Also with the brinsea, many people had mention that you can put the eggs in it and kind of forget about it if its the auto turner one. Does one need to keep refilling a brinsea mini auto-turner with water? and how long can the water last in the department before needing more? T

2. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Absolutely love my Brinsea Octagon 20. I do have to top off the water every 3 days or so during the first 18 days, because the house is so dry in the winter, but the temp and humidity display are spot on. I don't really forget about it, I do check it every day, but all I have to do is add water and make minor air vent adjustments. If I add the water pump, I honestly believe I could set the eggs, walk away, and come back and get the chicks 21 days later. It's an awesome incubator, but pricey.
    Out of all the styrobator reviews I have read, the Hovabator has the best reviews, but I have never used one
    The Brinsea is made out of a very tough ABS palstic, holds heat very well, and is a snap to clean

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  3. esme13

Apr 22, 2014
    New York
    thank you scflock, that help add some more to my knowledge. I was thinking of having a brinsea run while I was away, but if the water doesn't last as long as I had hope then I just have to wait for after my vacation.

4. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I think it would if you sprung for the humidity pump. It's expensive, but well worth it. It will hold more water than the channels. I bought the Advance model so I could add the pump later. I think if you are hatching a batch or two for fun, then the Hovabator will be great. If you plan on doing a lot of hatching, and want something that is foolproof, easy to read, and extremely easy to clean, then the Brinsea is well worth the money

5. esme13

Apr 22, 2014
    New York
    Scflock you gave me more to think about. I'm just planning on doing one to two hatches, but I also plan on keeping my incubator for the future. It's more for the kids, but i'm guessing the brinsea has more of a positive outcome and being easier to clean sounds like a plus. I am going to look into the large incubator with the attachment, how much water does that hold for the week? also by any chance do you think the incubator would come back on if the power shut off or would it need to be manual set? we have a back up generator, but im thinking that shouldn't happen in march, though you never know.

6. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Even just for fun, if you can afford it, I would go with the Brinsea, especially if you want it to last. I started with a cheap styrofoam, and work wouldn't allow me to babysit it. The results were horrendous. That's when I decided to splurge on the Brinsea and am so glad I did. I can't stress enough how much easier the Brinsea is to clean. It's about as hard as washing a bowl in the sink, and that will add to the longevity of the incubator. If I had the humidity pump and filled one channel in my Octagon 20, I don't think I would ever have to top off the water in 21 days. The instructions say you don't have to fill the channels with the pump, but then you are providing all of your humidity with the pump, and it will go through water faster. Fill one channel and just use the pump to maintain. You just set your humidity percentage for the first 18 days, then bump it up for the last 3. It's fully automatic after that.
    Yes, the Brinsea will come back on when the power comes back on, and return to its last settings. It will also have a flashing "P" on the display if that happens. That way you will know there was an outage, even if you weren't home. Then you can candle the eggs to check for loss. It does the same for high and low temperature and humidity. You just tell it what you want your parameters to be. I got the Advance with auto-turn for $380. With the pump would have been $520, and I will probably be ordering one. It was expensive, but I am so glad I bought it. The $89 I spent on the LG still-air was just a waste of money, for me anyway

7. esme13

Apr 22, 2014
    New York
    Thank you Scflock, I am going to go with the brinsea. I rather pay a bit more and have something that will likely work. The styrofoam ones are a lot cheaper, but it seems they can act up a bit more. I also like the ability how the kids can see the chicks hatching with the clear view window of the brinsea. I am going to order the incubator and hope to share natures miracles with the children.

8. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    You will be very happy you did

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by