1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brisbane, Australia :dried palm tree fronds/leaves

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mollycat79, Dec 10, 2012.

1. mollycat79

mollycat79 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    Just wondering: we have lots of palm trees that drop their fronds/leaves which dry out. Just wondering if I can put these dried leaves into the bottom of my chook house like hay or straw. I've collected already dried and smaller broken down palm leaves to put in their nesting boxes. Just thinking I could recycle the leaves and help the floor of my chicken coop with the more natural flooring you turn over and add to all the time? Can I add office paper sheets or office paper shredded too?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We live in FL and tried them but found they were hold moisture and began to stink so removed them again to the compost pile.

1 person likes this.
  3. mollycat79

mollycat79 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    Oh thanks. Ill keep them and spread them out in the run rather than the chook house floor then. Least they will see the sun and stay dried out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by