Brisnea Octagon 20 Eco Questions Turning questions ANSWERED!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Baralak, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello All.. I would like to take a little time, while I'm waiting for my eggs to hatch.. .SIGH.. to talk about the Brisnea Octagon 20 Eco Without the turner. This hopefully will answer some questions. I have been asked many times on how do I turn my eggs in this wonderfully designed incubator. The incubator is small compaired to a Hova, or LG. This bator can hold 24 eggs, but it will be a tight fit, really at the end during lockdown.

My bator is currently in Lockdown so I cannot go through the rotation steps, but hopefully can write about it. You can see inside my bator my 11 eggs, and the Junkie Hygrometer/Thermometer.. The Hygrometer works great, but the thermostat doesn't work that well.

Brisnea Octagon 20 Eco Incubator In action.
    [​IMG]

Looking at the side of the Incubator, you will notice it has 8 sides. The three you are interested in I will call neutral, forward, and backward. Looking at the below pic you will see the incubator in the neutral. If you start in this position, you will need to rotate it 3 times daily. Starting in the neutral position, you will rotate it <---------- till it sits on the forward flat surface. The second turn will rotate it back to the neutral position. The third turn you will turn it ---------> backward. The next morning back to neutral, next rotate foward, next neutral... and so on. Here it is in the neutral position. Remember to do this you will need your rails installed and the eggs either on their side, or small end pointed down.
    [​IMG]

For those like me.. I just like to turn the eggs.. But if there are 24 in there it would be really hard to do that. My smaller hatches 12 or less, then I just remove the top, rotate the eggs that are laying flat. Then replace the top and go from there.
    [​IMG]

2. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    OPEN YOUR VENT!

Sorry, that was really worrying me. Should be at at least half during lockdown.

I'm pretty sure Brinsea counts a turn as a complete 180, from the forward position all the way to backward. That's what their turner counts as one turn, and does once an hour.

I manually turn mine, and I do it basically every time I walk past the incubator. Anywhere from ten to thirty or fifty times a day. The more frequent the better, from day 3 to day 10 or so. Then I kind of relax about it but I still do it many times a day.

3. Baralak

I noticed that as well... after I posted the pics.. When I moved it (and cleaned up the area around it) I knew my shirt caught on something.. And it was the vent.. it's setting a little to the right of half way right now.. RH at 72%

Here is what the Auto turner says on Their website.

Egg turning with all models in the Octagon incubator range is achieved by rotating the whole cabinet through 90° (45° on either side on an hourly cycle).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  4. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Thank you for the information!!! I was really curious about turning w/ out the tuner.

5. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Someone else posted that they turn it 90d - using your terminology that would be from the backward position to the forward position, 3 times a day, skipping the neutral position. I gues in the end we all really just want to make sure the eggs don't sit still for 17 days:)

6. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Hey, what is that little hole on the top with the 'teardrop' icons next to it?

7. Baralak

That is where you would hook up the humidity pump if it was to be a Octagon 20 ADV.. If you have the ECO you can run an small tube down it into your wells and push water into it.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I haven't turned on the bator yet, but I got some smallish Icelandics and I was able to fit 27 eggs in there., but yeah... crowded.

9. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Thank you so much for posting this!! I have just ordered this exact incubator today without the turner and was wondering how to do it- THANKS for the GREAT info and pix! I hope you keep posting photos of your hatch too! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    oops double post - sorry [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by