Brisnea question...PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrsfoote, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    So i just got my new brisnea octagon 20 and got it set up and plugged in when it first turns on what does the red flashing light mean??

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    It means the desired temperature has been reached and it's being held there.

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

X2

Check your thermometer and make sure it is at the temp you want. Should be halfway between 99 and 100 .. if it isn't take the power cord cover off, and look inside, to the right there is a little red adjustment knob. Make slight adjustments until you have it at your desired temp. Once you adjust it, let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and check the thermometer. (it doesn't take that long, but I always prefer to let it completely circulate. If you don't have a hygrometer yet, go to the pet store and get one, you will find them in the reptile section. Put it in your bator where you can see it. Put some water in it and adjust your vent on top till you get to around 40% humidity (RH) During lockdown, I take a regular kitchen dish towel and put it under the egg tray. Fill up your water tanks, then put the already wet towel in it. Make sure your towel is folded so that some part of the towel is in both tanks. This will help get your RH higher for lockdown. It's a WONDERFUL bator.

4. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Thank you I've hatched before but in styrofoam and just couldn't justify loosing eggs due to the fluxuation SO got my brisnea yesterday so flashing flight means desired temperature achieved

5. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Yup temps adjusted and holding. Congratulations! I had a foam bator too and just switched over to the Brinsea Eco 20. Its like a vacation after a irratic foam bator isn't it?

6. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    another question how do you put those stupid dividers in the auto turner...do eggs go on their side or little end down i'm getting mad

7. Seeing Silkies

Seeing Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Quote:I love the deviders, I have my eggs on there side & when you turn the unit ( if you dont have a turner ) the eggs stay in place.. no need to open and turn eggs, just turn the unit, The water does not spill... Greatest thing i have seen yet for those of u with out a turner :)

8. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Quote:You can do it however you like, but the way they picture it is to put them little end down next to each other. What I did was hold the egg in the right place, put the wire divider in to hold it upright, then set the rest of the eggs in. It's pretty easy. You want them held upright, and the wire can touch them, but shouldn't press on them.

9. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I just took out the turners and hand turn 4 times a day. The wire stuff was frustrating me also. I couldnt seem to find a slot that would hold the eggs enough so that I would trust it when I turned it. Thats just me tho...super skittish as its my first hatch.

10. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I hope the egg will not crack by the moving backward & forward because my is about 1/8-1/4". I may end up put Bounce paper towel to keep them from banging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by