1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

British vs American Seramas / Serama

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by redbone, Sep 4, 2009.

1. redbone

redbone Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Rockvale, TN
    Just curious if anyone in the US serama scene ever looks at what the British Serama community is doing. IMO, they seem to be sticking more with what Malaysians like and Malaysian type. Thoughts?

2. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Curious to hear about this. I am in England right now, and am hatching out six Malaysian seramas as we speak - I am brand new to the game. [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

3. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Europe may be allowed to import from Malaysia, I don't know. The US has a closed gene pool, limited to birds in this country, and it has been that way for almost a decade. I also understand that there are "training boxes" used in Malaysia, to adapt the bird's musculature to that type. They are just big enough for the bird to stand upright, and they are fed throughthe top. This is how the bird LIVES until showtime. If that's what it takes to make a great Serama, I'd rather mine looked like ducks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by