Brittle & Rough Egg Shells -- Any ideas how to fix this?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chick_a_dee, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I asked about this earlier and was given some great suggestions, I bought some BOSS in hopes of it being a remedy to a hen that is laying very brittle and rough eggs.

Is there anything I can do to stop this? ... I think I know which hen it is now, and she doesn't seem thin, or underweight so she's getting all the same food as the others, her comb is a lot smaller than theirs but she's been laying for quite a while now.

ALSO I AM FEEDING OYSTER SHELLS FREE CHOICE AND IN THEIR FEED, THEY ALSO GET LOTS OF CRUSHED UP EGG SHELLS. WE LIVE IN CANADA IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    are you feeding oyster shells too?

3. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Yes I am, freechoice and I throw a handful or two into the feeder.

They also get an alfalfa mix hay in the run and on snowy days in the hen house.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Oyster shell is needed

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Also, Southern States makes a feed grade calcium that you can add to feed. It's finer than oyster shell. We use that for our larger birds during peak laying season

Steve in NC

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
  7. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:I get blood spots as well, not too many but maybe once a week or two. It suggests that too much light can cause this, should I lower my light from 14 hrs to something more around 12 hours? or 10? ... and if so... can I start taking them down a half an hour a week until I reach that number of hours?

Also, it states that possible reasons why I get these types of eggs is a defective shell gland, or too much salt in the water. We do have a water softener so before I go ahead and cull her, I'll try them on the barn water which isn't on a softener.

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    might want to try a full spectrum bulb for their light as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by