Broad Breasted Bronze and White Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by rainnotebook, May 13, 2010.

1. rainnotebook

rainnotebook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Northern AZ
    So... we got turkeys this past month and I just love them to pieces. We got them with the plan that we are going to raise Thanksgiving dinner. Well.... I'm not so sure about that now. There is one in particular that I'm so in love with and I wonder if these breads are okay to keep as pets for long. Its one of the Bronzes, not sure if female or male yet. Are these the kind of breeds that get to big to keep as pets and still live decent lives? Or are these the kinds that get to big for their legs and have problems once they get to a certain size?

Thanks for your help!

2. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    The broad breast types are sweet but not good to keep long term, leg and heart problems. Get a couple heritage breeds to keep around. They don't eat as much and grow much slower. We like ours. We also have some BBB that we are raising for the freezer.

3. rainnotebook

Oct 19, 2009
    Northern AZ
    Thats exactly what I was afraid of... but it actually does make me feel better come butchering time. At least I can give them an enjoyable life growing up and I'm not killing them long before their time.

I was told they would be addicting... I can see why.

4. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    It does seem like the Toms break down first. Maybe if you where able to keep them a thin as possible. But then they love to eat and that would not be kind. I have one BBB cross that looks just like a BBB but for some reason he has done well. He is 7 years old now. He had a some foot problems. One think I noticed about him is he does not have that huge desire to eat all the time like my BBW did. His mom was a BBW and Dad was a Black Spanish and he came out bronze.

The first time I tried to keep one for a pet he got so big he would fall trying to get to his feet. One day he just could not get up anymore and the flies where all over him cause he would poop himself. I had never butchered anything before so I asked my neighbor to do it. The poor guy was so bruised up from falling we could not even eat his meat. I felt so bad for him. [​IMG]

5. rainnotebook

Oct 19, 2009
    Northern AZ
    Oh wow. That's a miserable life to have too. I will do the right thing and give them all they want to eat and come Thanksgiving we'll be thankful for the time I had with them.

6. jamesrm

jamesrm Featherbrained, at best!

Mar 26, 2008
    White House, TN
    They are like the cornish crosses, I called them my battle tanks. When they get so old, they just hardly can walk, get super hot, and in the summer you will loose more to heat. Enjoy the bird and be thankful for the meat, its the circle of life and your on top [​IMG]

7. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    I have bourbon reds. I got my first 6 ( was only supposed to get 3) last May. I knew they were for food, but I still really got attached to them. I was worried about butchering, but my big tom solved my dilemma. 10 minutes after I let them out of the barn for the day, my smaller tom was dead, and the big tom was going after the next one. Time to butcher. We kept the 3 hens. The big tom is wonderful. He struts all the time but has never shown any signs of aggression. He follows me everywhere. I'm hatching his babies this spring. I really love turkeys... [​IMG]

8. rainnotebook

Oct 19, 2009
    Northern AZ
    I keep hoping they'll be mean so it makes butchering so easy. I'm in love with Turkeys. I love the babies big eyes, and their chirps and calls. Totally different from chickens... can totally tell when they are crying for mama. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by