Broad Breasted Bronze Hen/Tom

Perry17

Songster
Sep 17, 2017
About two years ago I bought my first two turkey hens that were hand raised. One white meat breed (I forget what its called) and another broad breasted bronze "hen" both massive hens. Huge bodies and thick legs and swollen feet, very slow movers.

When I brought both home I was convinced the bronze was actually a male. At the time she was a year old, had a tiny 1 inch beard, would GOBBLE, CHUFF, and DRUM! I even put them in with a blue slate male and she would fight him like they were fighting to the death, I let them go for quite a while hoping they would just figure it out on their own, but it got to the point they would have killed each other if I let them go any longer. I tried to introduce her to different males one at a time for a few weeks, hoping she was just picky. But it was the same with every one. At that point I was sure the sellers sold me the wrong bird, a Tom and not a hen. All this time she was perfectly fine with being friends with the white hen, who would just sit and enjoy the show during her buddys fights.

I was getting eggs, so I assumed they were from my white hen. But unfortunately, I had some kind of animal break in a killed my sweet white turkey. But after the white hen died...I WAS STILL GETTING EGGS! And to make it better, a few weeks after that my bronze decided to go broody. So I had a gobbling, drumming, fighting, bearded, Tom/Hen that also laid unfertile eggs and went broody but didnt want a boyfriend at all hahaha.

Two years later and now she is just a pet. I have given up on trying to get her to sit on eggs of any kind, her big fat feet always crush them the first day she tries. I thought about just giving her some golf balls to sit on, then trading them out for some chicks, but she would most likely squish those too sadly so I have never tried.

To keep her company I have had her in with my male and female duck pair. They were happy for almost a year, then duck started laying eggs and for some reason turkey and my boy duck has started fighting. But yet again she isnt worried about the girl duck, just likes to fight every boy she sees.

So now she is in a pen by herself all alone. I feel bad for her but she hates everyone I put in with her. I even stuck a few goats in there with her during the hurricane, I was sure my big boer buck wouldn't let her boss him around, but she bit the bottom of his ear off, the poor baby. So yet again she is by herself. :barnie

Her new thing these past few months has been puffing up, trying to chase me around, and fight me. So I have to watch my back every time I go in to feed her, she is a slow runner so its like watching a wild animal attack you in slow motion but more scary than you would imagine lol.

I just dont know what to do with her anymore. I feel bad keeping her locked up alone, cant hatch babies off her (was my main goal at first) because she doesnt like to be around boys. :he And I dont want to pawn her off to someone thats going to have trouble with her or eat her.

Her beard is now around 5-6 inches long. She hasnt drummed or gobbled in over a year, guessing its because she is the only turkey around. But sassy as ever and very vocal, when she is mad she will pace and make a whistle howl noise lol. Still puffs up if you talk to her. I have to say, over the years I have had some weird "farm stories" but this is probably one of my funniest experiences looking back, so I thought I would share hahaha. Have yall ever experienced a hen this dominant? I havent been around many turkeys other than these few, so I am clueless if this is normal.

Hens can actually be more moody than the toms. If a turkey is harassing my chickens it's always a female. I have a bronze hen that was aggressive last fall. She stopped in the spring but now under a hard molt she's coming after me again, her days are numbered now.

My oldest dominant hen goes after her when she starts to come after me. The dominant hen routinely displays to the other females and there has been a few short fights between my older hens over the years.

With my experiences with turkeys the hens are the bigger troublemakers, and they have more attitude. Maybe get her a mirror or something reflective, so she can keep herself company, otherwise I wouldn't house anyone with her, but maybe next to her.

That makes sense, all of the Toms I have brought in have always been big sweethearts. Would puff up and display, but just wanted to follow me around while they were doing it and be petted. But this hen is after blood when she gets mad enough to display hahaha.

Maybe she's going through some phase or molt or hormonal issue. I have just started having a problem with her getting after me these past few months. It seemed the broody duck really started it all. But I agree, it was funny at first but now it is really starting to get old having to fight her off just to feed her everyday.

The only thing that will get her out of a hissy fit, is a freshly filled kiddie pool and feed. She loves to soak her feet in the cool pool water, but will sit there and coo to make sure I know she is still upset. Lol

I wonder if it's just the bronze breed then? Before I got this hen, I have had a young blue slate tom for a few months, a young royal palm tom for a few months, and a bourbon red hen for a while. They were all very docile, and quiet sweet turkeys. But I didn't keep them for long. When I decided to get turkeys again, these meat hens were the only ones I could find so I just went with those. Next time I will definitely chose heritage breeds again instead, I loved my Blue Slates.

I personally have found bronze colored turkeys to be more aggressive, don't know why, but I don't care for them. Maybe it's time to eat her and get some more friendly ones, life's too short to be terrorized by poultry.

She's already a good age for a broad breasted, maybe she's got some pains which makes her ornery.

Turkeys can be moody birds, when they get mad at something it can go on for a long time. I've not had good luck with changing a mean one except to remove the head.

Luckily aggressive turkeys aren't generally the norm, most are even tempered and are curious and friendly.

"Life's too short to be terrorized by poultry" :lau I love it hahaha.

I honestly didn't think she would live this long. I researched before I got them and read they only live 1-2 years. She's at least 3 now, I was just going to wait for her to die on her own, thinking it would be within a year of buying her. But she's still kicking...literally. Though she is very active, she might be having some pain making her upset. Her feet and legs have been swollen since I got her, most likely the reason why she likes the pool so much. Maybe I can try to find her a pet home with someone who would enjoy her "social" personality.

I have another problem with my mean old hen...

We keep her in a big covered stall, nothing can get into her. I left Saturday for a weekend at the beach, and when I went to feed her before I left, she was in a crouched position. She had feathers all over her pen. She was just sitting like she would to lay an egg, but when I tried to push her to make her move, she wouldn't stand up. Just stayed tight in a ball. No wounds or anything, so I just left her.

I came back and checked her this morning, and she is back to normal walking around mad. But piles of feathers are all over the place. I looked for an egg but couldn't find one (most of the time she steps on it and breaks it on accident, then eats it if it cracks so that's probably why I couldn't find it).

But I don't understand the feathers? I thought molt was a slow process. It looks like she is pulling her own feathers out by herself. Is that something y'all have seen? Is she too stressed?

Some drop half their feathers overnight, it can be shocking to see. They often don't feel well during the process and some will sit hunched up at times.

Okay thanks! Are there areas where they start to lose feathers first? I just want to make sure that she is molting, and not pulling them out for some other reason.

I'll go have a closer look if she will let me, I think I noticed earlier where the new feathers were already starting to grow back. I'll try to get a picture up soon.

Back
Top Bottom