1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broad breasted bronze turkeys - can they breed?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by bkvail, Mar 12, 2009.

1. bkvail

bkvail Chillin' With My Peeps

has anybody had broad breasted bronze turkeys that DID reproduce naturally? I want some turkeys that look somewhat similar to wild turkeys, but want lots of meat when it's butcher time too [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    No, they cannot breed naturally. You would have to AI.

3. bkvail

no thanks, LOL! I'll keep looking!

4. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Have you looked at standard bronze? they can mate naturally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve in NC

5. bkvail

yes, I have been looking for some actually. My first choice was western wild - but I don't feel like looking into permits and junk - my second choice was the standard bronze - just can't find anybody that has them available right now (and I want about a dozen turkey poults and to add a few chickens to the order too - EE's and silkie pullets).

those toms are beautimus!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    I don't know of anybody that has poults other than a hatchery right now. Ours are young, we got them last July or August. They are huge and just as calm and friendly. Not as curious as some breeds we have but we are pleased with them. Can't wait until they fill out all the way.

Steve

7. bkvail

I would not mind a hatchery at all if I could find one that has poults and silkies and EE's available to ship together.......that's the trick! That, and them not charging $10 a poult like some places!

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Our neighbor's Bourbon Red tom successfully mated with their BBB hen. Unfortunately, we never got to see the crosses as the hen was torn apart on her nest by a raccoon. Their tom disappeared from their front lawn a week later (probably human predator - he was huge).

Good luck!

9. bkvail

interesting! Maybe if I cannot find someone that has standard bronze, silkies, and EE's, then I can get some BBB and another type of turkey - and keep the toms from the ''other'' turkeys...... I'll keep looking, glad I have time this week to do lots of research!

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have standard bronzes and I am waiting on pins and needles for some eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by