Broad Breasted Bronze vs Giant Whites... for meat

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
So, that is my choice... Which one do I want to raise for meat? The Broad Breasted Bronze are much much much prettier than the cornish x of the turkey world, but I'm afraid they won't make me that 35 lb turkey that I'll have no way of plucking or cooking.

My goal: A turkey too big to fit into the oven. Is this doable with a Broad Breasted Bronze?

I was thinking of getting just 3 turkeys to test out. What are people's experiences of how many months before slaughter for each breed?

I had 4 BBB last summer, the hens averaged 25-28 lbs (dressed out) at butcher time and the male was 38 lbs (dressed out). I only had them for about 2 months and went through about 4 50 lb sacks of food free feeding. I'm sure I could have gotten the tom bigger but I was worried that I'd have to cutt him in half to fit in the oven. As it was we had to use the biggest pan we could find with cookie sheets on the bottom rack to catch the drips cause his legs and wings were hanging out over the pan.

I wouldnt recommend trying to get them this big unless you have a couple of friends to help with the butchering.
1. It takes one to hold (if its calm) and one to hatchet.
2. For a bird this big it takes a 55 gallon drum to do the scalding unless you have a mechanical dunker lifting a wet bird this size out of a drum thats on blocks (gotta be up high enough to get a fire under it) its hard work after it has soaked up water.

PB210010.jpg

PB220016.jpg

How about 45.8 lbs processed... 53.2 lbs before processing. You are correct about the home oven, we had to send this one to the processor for smoking and he said he would never do it again.

I got the deed done by myself but got knocked on my behind immediately afterward when his body took exception with being seperated from his head.

I scalded him in my turkey fryer pot by holding him a straddle over the pot. I guess I didn't know any better being that it was my very first time preparing a bird.

Your's looks like it was mighty good eatin.
ReadytoServeTomTurkey2007.jpg

Last edited:
sgray136 was yours a bronze or a white?

For the record the one in the photo I attached was 28 lbs. I gave the 38 to my boss.

this summer I'm getting atleast 12 more turkeys just for smoking. Nothing better than smoked turkey IMO.

OMG These are taratactyls?
they hardly fit in the picture rofl WOW
So breasted bronze it is!
I can hardly ever find a 30lbder for our family, and I always want leftovers they are my fav!
So what will I feed them to end up around 30ish lbs by fall?
How many should I buy?
Are they only good eating if less than a year old ? or can they continue to grow for the next year?
Caroline

Do you both have pics of them when alive?
you both look like very proud men! awesome pictures!
Restuarants would love these huge birds!
I am truly amazed and have to show hubby how men grow birds rofl

Back
Top Bottom