Broad breasted turkeys and unsafe sex

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Rosdez31, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Rosdez31

Rosdez31 Chirping

Jan 24, 2019
    Washington state
    New to turkeys with a 9 month old pair of broad breasted. Spring has sprung love is in the air and my 62 pound male is feeling amourous. My much smaller hen is up to the task in theory but i separated them after some bleeding and a vet tech call. So pet turkey owners, is this seasonal? Besides separating them is there anything I can do to calm this hormone crazed Jake? Are you having a similar problem in your flock? Is my hen actually in danger or am I overacting?

2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Yes, your hen is in danger but so is your tom from being overweight. You can help protect her by getting her a turkey saddle or just by keeping them separated.

It is not a good idea to keep just one hen with a tom even if they are heritage turkeys. I try to keep at least four to five hens with a tom. This year my tom has 7 hens to keep him company.

You probably won't like my recommendation but I would process that tom before he starts suffering from being so heavy. If you want to keep the hen, get her more turkeys to keep her company. If you feel the need to breed her, get a heritage tom.

sourland and Better Than Rubies like this.
  3. Molpet

Molpet Crossing the Road

the hatchery breeders use artificial insemination because the toms can get too big to hit the mark. I had a BBB hen I tried to breed with a heritage jake and he tore her sides up so bad I could see the tenders in her breast.

R2elk likes this.
  4. Rosdez31

Rosdez31 Chirping

Jan 24, 2019
    Washington state
    I appreciate the advice, I didn't realize even heritage birds were so rough. Oddly the Tom fittest of the 2, he is free range and runs around the yard even up hill, the female waddles a little and makes sure it's worth it. I understand I may have to euthanize either at some point but I don't think they are suffering and as a vegetarian there is little incentive to push it . I don't have room for more. Is this a seasonal thing or do they just need to stay separated for ever?

5. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    It is a seasonal thing but the season lasts from spring through the fall. Here breeding normally starts mid February and ends late October.

BirdsBeesTrees and sourland like this.
  6. Rosdez31

Rosdez31 Chirping

Jan 24, 2019
    Washington state
    Oh wow good to know

7. Rosdez31

Rosdez31 Chirping

Jan 24, 2019
    Washington state
    She was bleeding from the vent area. The feathers are so thick I don't know if it was actually internal or a broken feather. It was alot of blood but stopped quickly. Then sheswent back to foraging her sides are ruffled but the weight is what worried me.

Molpet likes this.
  8. Molpet

Molpet Crossing the Road

Hopefully it was a feather
    Since you don't want poults I guess you keep them separate until late fall

9. Rosdez31

Rosdez31 Chirping

Jan 24, 2019
    Washington state
    I wouldn't mind hatching babies but only if it could be done safely. So I guess build a pen on a trampoline or separate them. Unless we can put salt Peter in the water supply

memphis likes this.
  10. Rosdez31

Rosdez31 Chirping

Jan 24, 2019
    Washington state
    Has anyone successfully bred broad breasted turkeys without fatalities? If so what makes for a successful match? I'm so curious now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: