Broad Breasted White Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Airplaneguy57, May 11, 2010.

1. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    DW and I adopted a Broad Breasted White Turkey. She is huge. Is it common for the to waddle when they walk? How about panting. She pants even when resting. I think it's their method of cooling off. Did I mention she is huge!

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

BBW turkeys have leg and breathing problems due to their weight. They aren't bred to be long lived.

Steve

3. fowlmamma

fowlmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    northeastern pa
    ours made it 10 months and he was laying down all the time and his legs were about to just break off. i knew it was time for turkey dinner his weight was over 42lbs. yum [​IMG]

4. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Butcher it before it dies on you. They are a meat bird and like has been said do not live long. If you are not into butchering your own meat then just be prepared that she's not going to be around for too long.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  5. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    How long do they live. I've tried to find an answer with no joy.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Unless you keep them on a tight feed restriction they typically do not live long. Their bodies outgrow their hearts and skeleton's ability to support them.

.....Alan.

7. cashela

cashela Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    South Eastern NH
    I am so not an expert turkey person, especially since I ended up with two BBW's as pets last year on a whim. Had I known that they weren't meant to live long I wouldn't have taken them because it was heartbreaking when my tom died, I was very attached. However, I still have my hen. She is alive and doing well. She is currently sitting on some chicken eggs that she has taken over after she stopped laying.

8. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    No clue how long they will last it takes about 5 months for them to be full grown and ready to process.

9. ProfTi

ProfTi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yup! I had 40 BBB this summer. They waddled around like sumo wrestlers and breathed like santa running a marathon. I would think if you wanted to keep them as pets, you would need to keep them on a starvation diet. They are essentially the Cornish X's of turkeydom. We had good luck keeping ours in better shape by making them forgage for food. Good Luck!

10. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Since this post is 2 1/2 years old, may I ask how did things turn out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by