1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broader Bedding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PonyRaindrop, Mar 21, 2016.

1. PonyRaindrop

PonyRaindrop Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    So we will be getting chicks in a few weeks, and I have a question about the bedding. We have LOTS of eastern white pines, and they "shed" needles ALOT. The needles are dead, and there is probably 6 inches under each of the trees. So I was wondering if I could use pine needles as bedding. The pine needles are as bendable as a rubber band, and aren't sharp at the edges. They don't have much of a smell, and it would save me money to use them.[​IMG]
    Thanks! -PonyR

2. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that would be great - pine shavings are acceptable so why not needles? I've used straw, shavings, leaves, dirt, and doggy pee pads in brooders :)

3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    The only issue I can think of is pine sap getting on feathers from the portion of the needle that attached to the tree.

4. PonyRaindrop

Feb 25, 2016

Yeah good point. I will have to go look at the ones that recently fell before I use them. Thank you!

5. PonyRaindrop

Feb 25, 2016

That's what I though because pine shavings are coming from the same tree.[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by