Broccoli - Before, During & After

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jomoncon, Feb 21, 2011.

1. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    All winter, my little RIRs have been enjoying extra leaves from my garden's broccoli, cauliflower & cabbage. Now that the winter garden in almost over, I've been pulling entire broccoli plants for them to enjoy. Here's the saga of one broccoli plant:

Broccoli Before: About 2' tall & 2' across. One nice big, heavy plant with lots of leaves and a few broccoli florets left on.
    [​IMG]

Broccoli During: During the dining that is. I hung it about a foot off the ground. Give the little darlings some exercise.
    [​IMG]

Broccoli After:Not a whole lot left after a couple of hours. Only tough stems & roots.
    [​IMG]

I have about 3 more plants left to give them. I think there's an extra head of cabbage in the garden also. They certainly enjoy every single one.

2. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    [​IMG]

What lucky girls! And you must get a good haul from your garden!

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Ha ha! That is awesome. [​IMG]

4. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    My birds are jealous. Your girls have something green. All we have is a lot of white ice and snow.

5. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Henry, TN
    I take it one step farther and chop the tough stuff and boil it a while. I am cheap and hate to waste anything. There is virtually very little left after. My girls love their greens.

6. Rockerchic

Rockerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Quote:I recently started sprouting wheat for my girls. It makes a great supplement for them and can be grown to the "grass stage" for a fresh green treat.Wheat berries are about $11/50 pounds here.Close to a life time supply.

7. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Quote:What a great idea!! That's the the girls will have for breakfast.

8. cochicks

cochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Great pictures! How fun! I can't wait until its warms up and I can start planting greens for my girls.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Posting pictures of produce from a "winter garden" where people from NY can see them is just evil. [​IMG]

10. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I bet those yolks are nice & orange!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by