brodder box setup.... HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tashtash, Jan 30, 2013.

1. tashtash

tashtash Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Ok so my hubby built me a gorgeous box and now i wanna know can i put cat litter on the bottom. or shredded news paper. or what does everyone else use

2. nasus

nasus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    Good Morning,
    I use pine shavings. I've read on BYC to put paper towels over the pine shavings so the babies do not eat the shavings but I've never had that issue, thankfully. However I've only brooded (is that even a word?) two times. I'm definitely not an expert.

3. PaleoDan

PaleoDan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Yardville, NJ
    I have been using Aspen shavings, they have a great smell and it's what I use for my snakes. It is a bit pricier than pine but pine gives off a lot of gases so I avoid it.

4. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    For the first few days I used puppy wee wee pads. It gave them footing and was easy to just fold up and lay new ones down every day. After about a week I went to pine bedding flake from tractor supply. Walmart also sells a big bag of pine shavings that's not too bad if you don't have a tractor supply. Good luck with the little ones.

5. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    Also if you start them out on a nipple waterer, instead of the traditional water bowl, it cuts down on the mess a lot.

6. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I wouldn't use kitty litter, I'd be worried chicks would eat it. I just use shavings from the feed store (pine) and for the first week or so cover them with paper towel (rough side up) to give the chicks good footing. You want them to have something with texture so it's not slippery, newspaper is too slippery, they might wind up with spraddle leg.

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    x2 however I have switched to straw and the first week I put a layer of papertowels over top of them so they have good footing until they find their feet! LOL Good Luck!

8. tashtash

tashtash Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Thanks seams like pine shavings is the way to go. but sally i do like the straw. how often do you change it and do they need paper towel on top? Can it just be straw only

9. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I personally am not at all fond of straw because it tends towards mold, which is never a good thing, especially for chicks. I really prefer shavings. But if you must use straw, please do put paper towel over it, and keep it very dry so it won't get moldy.

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I change it when its poo'd up it will be more x's after several days. I dont have a problem with straw, I keep the waterers up on a pc of wood and make sure they arent tillted and have yet to have an issue with mold. I can easily see of you let it get wet how this could happen, but like I said I put my feed and waterers on a pc of wood to avoid straw getting into them. Pine shavings can make a chick sick as well with all that dust.... I PREFER no dust since they are in my lower level when they are younger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by