Broddy Stopped sitting will she take chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stampntam, Jan 17, 2011.

1. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    Hello,
    I am new to this hatching thing, my silkie was sitting on eggs for two weeks and then she stopped and the eggs died (was really cold here), now I also have eggs in an incubator that are set the same time she started to sit, they are going to hatch starting Thursday, will I be able to give her the chicks to take care of or will she not accept them since it was so long, (about a week ago she stopped sitting) I would really like for her to care for them because I think she can defend them and care better for them, but just do not know. It looks like it may only be 3 eggs hatching anyway, the rest were quiters.

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    If she stopped sitting a week ago, she almost definitely will NOT take the chicks. Sorry [​IMG]

3. stampntam

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    okay thanks, darn

4. stampntam

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    okay, yesterday she did come out of the coop and has been sitting in the nest box all day, if she is going broody again, will she take the chickens that may hatch on Thursday?

5. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:If she is infact broody, she will be sitting in the nest box at night instead of roosting... Nighttime would be the best to put the chicks under her.. Slip a marked egg or golf ball under her and watch her for a few days..If when the chicks hatch, she is still sitting, slip one chick under her and see how she reacts... If she reacts well, you should be able to slip the other chicks under her without any problems.. The key thing is to do it while she is resting/sleeping and watch her reactions... Good luck!

Goddess [​IMG]

6. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] I did the same thing ,make sure you do it at night and take out the egg or golf ball ,it worked out great for memhope it works for you,its so much better if the hen can raise the babies.

7. stampntam

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    thanks, the eggs are pipping today in the bator, so I will watch her closely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by