Brody Leg Horn

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by babytoo66, May 25, 2019.

1. babytoo66

babytoo66 Hatching

May 18, 2019
    Hello! This is my first time dealing with a Broddy hen. I have checked the eggs and they are developing! My question is should I move her and if so how do I do that. She is up in the corner of the coop that has a ramp to the ground. She is not in the nesting boxes which is good so my other hens have a place to lay. I don’t know if I have to separate her or if she is ok to stay where she is. She does go out in the morning to eat and drink but other than that is is sitting on the nest. Also is there anything I should look for that would indicate her health is failing. I did notice her comb look a little light and it over to the side. I know health is a concern with a broddy. Thank you for any help!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    You might read through this thread, it covers your topic fairly well. A photo of where she is might be useful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/should-i-move-my-broody-hen-and-her-eggs.1311933/

When hens stop laying their combs and wattles tend to go pale instead of bright red. That is perfectly normal.

Before hens even start to lay they build up a reservoir of fat. That fat is mostly what they live off of while broody. That way they can stay on the eggs instead of having to be out looking for food most of the day. Your hen will probably lose weight (or as some say condition) while on the nest but that is fat put there for that reason. So don't panic if you see that she is loosing weight.

Check her after dark for roost mites. A poultry science college professor said that roost mites kill more broody hens than anything else. Most of us don't have roost mites but I consider it a good practice to check for them, whether you have a broody or not. Roost mites run away from light. So go out after dark with a flashlight and check your chickens in the vent area to see if you see any running away. That can be the ones on the roosts as well as the broody. @aart recommends wearing white gloves and rubbing them on the roosts to see if you red spots where you crushed the mites as they run away.

janiedoe likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    :gig I guess that would work, but.....paper towel will do.

My Bug Blurb:
    Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    That's why I quoted you, to keep me straight. But white gloves would be so much more elegant!!!

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: