1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

brody or not ?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jayke563, Sep 7, 2015.

1. jayke563

jayke563 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Northern Massachusetts
    i have a black copper Maran that sits on eggs for a few hours ever day she lays a egg? she acts broody and when I try to grab her eggs she pecks me but then she gets off the nest? then goes back on the neat the next day for a few more hours I really want her to be broody because I want some chicks plz help me ?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    She's not broody yet. A broody hen will only leave the nest once or twice a day, and she will sleep on the nest. She would be on the nest all day and all night if she were broody.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    X 2 - some birds like to spend more time than others on the nest both before and after laying that day's egg -- her behavior is of a bird in that state of mind vs. that of a broody hen. Being defensive (pecking at you) when you intrude into her space (the nest) is also not a function only of broodiness, but also a behavior that is quite common in non-broody hens -- some are more defensive of the nest than others.
    If you really want to hatch it is going to be more effective to invest in an incubator as you can't count on a hen going broody, especially if/when you want them to.

4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock, so glad you joined us.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. LisaKay

LisaKay New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    Kansas
    I have a hen that is Brody, will not leave the nest, but stupid question unless my polish is a rooster that doesn't crow, I have no roosters. Will hens be Brody for no reason, or is my polish really a rooster? Sorry I could not figure out were to put my question

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  8. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Hens can and will go broody even if they have never seen a make bird in their entire life.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by