Broiler Babes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Paulina Chicken, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Paulina Chicken

Paulina Chicken New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Paulina, Louisiana
    My son has 5 broiler chicks that we have raised from 2 days old. He got them for his 4-H livestock show. I have grown attached to them. They fly up on top the box (its to cold right now to put them in their coop) and let me pet them, they run to me when they see me. I feed them twice a day so they dont overeat and get to heavy. How can I tell the males from females, 2 have the red things growing underneath their necks and the other 3 dont. I would like to be able to mark them to know which is which. Any help is appreciated!

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Are you wanting to keep them for breeding? If they are in deed Cornish broilers they won't live very long. It is possible for them to live to maturity but it is difficult. You have to watch their feed intake very carefully. They were bred to be butcher ready in 6 to 8 weeks and have a very rapid growth rate. The males will get a comb and wattles very quickly. Some pics would be helpful to sex them.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I agree, post some pics. They'll be easy enough to sex.

I also agree with the fact that they may die even with your feed restriction. I know of people that have kept broilers longer than a year with extremely careful feed management, but in the end they all died young.

I would also discourage them from going anyplace high. With such heavy breasts, it's really easy for them to break their legs. Don't cut their wings, they'll need those to get down--but if you can figure out a way to make them not want up on the box, that would be best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by