Broiler Chick Leg Problem! Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by josytang, Mar 9, 2014.

1. josytang

josytang Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    So out of my 16 Cornish Cross, one of them have this condition where it can't stand up for more than 3 seconds. I am pretty sure it is not a splayed leg because both legs are pointed fairly forward. Its legs are spread wider apart than the other ones and I don't know if that causes it to not be able stand. Do you guys have similar problems? What should I do? would a Leg Hobble help?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is the chick? Post a picture if you can. It sounds like splay leg from your description. Poultry pedia podiatry has good instructions on hobbles, and also if you Google splay leg chick you will find good sites. Make sure the chick is on a good non-slip surface.

1 person likes this.
  3. josytang

Feb 26, 2011
    It is a week old. I will post a picture tmr, but thanks for the information!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it is splay leg, the earlier the treatment or hobble is applied the better the chances for working. It usually takes around 4-5 days. Until the hobble works, but you can always put it back on if need be. I used the bandaid hobble on my chick that had it.

1 person likes this.
  5. josytang

Feb 26, 2011
    ok, so i did some research on slayed legs and my chicks could stand up and walk. But it just kind of shiver when it walks and could not stand up straight for more than a few seconds. So I don't know if it is still a slayed leg

6. josytang

Feb 26, 2011
    [​IMG]

Here is how it stands. This is why I don't think it has a splayed leg because its legs are fairly pointing forward. But I could be wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But this is what concerns me the most: it can not stand up for more than a few seconds and it can't stand straight.

I still don't know what the problem is; I have tried the band aid hobble but it does not seem to help. Any ideas or solutions???

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The legs look a little far apart to me, which is what splayed legs are, but I've never had meat chickens to compare their stance. I have been reading a little about rickets and other mineral deficiencies in meat birds, and I wanted to give you this link to read in case you might want to give some extra vitamin D and calcium, or just some poultry vitamins to hopefully help: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/mineral_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

8. josytang

Feb 26, 2011
    Thank you so much! I think I will try the hobble again and give them some vitamins and let you know how it goes! Again, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by