Broiler chicks drinking a lot of water

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Skhan, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Skhan

Skhan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2014
    INDIA,DHANBAD
    I have only four broiler chicks 4 weeks old around 150 grams........I am keeping them on less diet.but the problem is that they drinking a lot of water......should i allow them to drink? ......or restrict them because its winter here in India...around 15 degree C ....they are free ranged since 2 weeks old .i give them calcium liquid supplement in there water..[​IMG]
    3 weeks old photo

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Water is the most important nutrient and fresh should be available at all times.

Also, stop the calcium supplement. 1% which is what should be in their feed is more than enough.
    Excess calcium for birds not actively laying eggs will cause kidney damage.
    They need more water as well to flush the excess calcium from the kidneys.

1 person likes this.
  3. Skhan

Jan 9, 2014
    INDIA,DHANBAD
    I have heard that broilers bones are weak enough to carry their weight..so i am giving them calcium in less amount to strengthen there bones...........what more should i do .......should i leave them to free range them in winter without any heat lamp.its 15 degree C

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They may need a heat lamp for a couple more weeks. If they all sit away from it all the time, they don't need it any more.

Be careful free ranging. Broilers aren't fast and can't evade predators. I lost 5 to hawks last winter.

Back to the calcium issue. You're right about fast growing broilers having skeletal issues but that is because muscle outgrows bone in them but additional calcium won't help.
    You could give 50% calcium and the bones won't grow faster. Check the guaranteed analysis label on your feed. Calcium should be around 1% and that is sufficient for growing birds. The trick is to restrict feed slightly like you are doing. At 4 weeks you can also go to a much lower protein feed. You'll probably be processing them in the next few weeks anyway.

5. Skhan

Jan 9, 2014
    INDIA,DHANBAD
    Thanks I will take care about there feed and water.........but to inform you that i am not going to process them or slaughter.I had only picked pullet from the hatchery ...they all 4 of them are pullet or hen .......i had kept them to lay eggs and incubate them....I am thinking of crossing them with by bantam cock or aseel cock.........Can this happen?because I am doing this for first time....

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sure, that can happen. Free ranging them is a good idea. The exercise and more natural foods will be good for them.

7. Skhan

Jan 9, 2014
    INDIA,DHANBAD
    I am trying my best to keep them healthy and comfortable......with how much weight they can do good?..............or lay fertile eggs?

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You'll do fine.
    Ideal weight depends on the breed.
    Sexual maturity in chickens is around 20 weeks, depending on day length.
    It isn't a good idea to use pullet eggs for incubating. The shells tend to be very hard. The small size restricts embryo growth and the size also limits the nutrition available.
    Fertility of very young cockerels and pullets is questionable.
    It's best to wait till the birds are at least 25 weeks to use the eggs for incubation. The longer the better.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  9. Skhan

Jan 9, 2014
    INDIA,DHANBAD
    thanks for the information.......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by