1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broiler chicks with problems, illness and swollen joints, broken leg, photos, a couple somewhat grap

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cat_named_noodles, Oct 22, 2015.

1. cat_named_noodles

cat_named_noodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    Wimberley, TX
    I have raised broilers before but this is the first year I have ever had a batch of sick babies. I only had 4 of them, 2 conish x broilers and two red broilers. Two days ago I lost one of the red broilers. On necropsy I found it had some sort of bacterial infection (I think) in its intestines (gas and foul smelling contents of cecum), distended abdomen, an a broken leg. Another chick that is still alive has a distended abdomen and all the other broiler chicks appear to have joint problems (but not the EEs and silkies in with them). I thought for sure I would lose one of the larger broilers last night. I have them on electrolytes, tetracycline (per vet recommendation), VetRX and yogurt. Also making their feed into mash which they seem to really like. I want to put them on a vitamin/mineral supplement but am not sure which would be best.
    Some pictures of the chicks.
    Distended abdomen one with swollen joints
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I alo have some adult birds, including an 8-month old broiler hen, who are sneezing and coughing and sound congested. The big broiler I started on VetRX and it helped. She's now eating and drinking.
    Broken leg and swollen joints on the little one that died:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cat_named_noodles

cat_named_noodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    Wimberley, TX
    Any help? I went ahead and bought what Tractor Supply had in stock, a combination vitamin/mineral/probiotic top-dress for feed. Maybe it will help, maybe not.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The abdominal distension was from intestinal contents and not ascites? Did you notice anything else unusual about the organs (liver, heart)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by