Broiler chicks with problems, illness and swollen joints, broken leg, photos, a couple somewhat grap

cat_named_noodles

Songster
10 Years
Nov 20, 2009
Wimberley, TX
I have raised broilers before but this is the first year I have ever had a batch of sick babies. I only had 4 of them, 2 conish x broilers and two red broilers. Two days ago I lost one of the red broilers. On necropsy I found it had some sort of bacterial infection (I think) in its intestines (gas and foul smelling contents of cecum), distended abdomen, an a broken leg. Another chick that is still alive has a distended abdomen and all the other broiler chicks appear to have joint problems (but not the EEs and silkies in with them). I thought for sure I would lose one of the larger broilers last night. I have them on electrolytes, tetracycline (per vet recommendation), VetRX and yogurt. Also making their feed into mash which they seem to really like. I want to put them on a vitamin/mineral supplement but am not sure which would be best.
Some pictures of the chicks.
Distended abdomen one with swollen joints

I alo have some adult birds, including an 8-month old broiler hen, who are sneezing and coughing and sound congested. The big broiler I started on VetRX and it helped. She's now eating and drinking.
Broken leg and swollen joints on the little one that died:

The abdominal distension was from intestinal contents and not ascites? Did you notice anything else unusual about the organs (liver, heart)?

Back
Top Bottom