1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broiler Feed and Cost Spread Sheet

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jltaylor1974, May 29, 2016.

1. jltaylor1974

jltaylor1974 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2015
    I created a spread sheet in excel to calculate some basic cost and feed requirements for raising Broilers if anyone is interested. I don't know how to insert a file in the post but if you contact me I can email it. The formulas are locked but selectable cells have red text.

Duration in weeks to processing is only selectable in a range of 1 to 9 weeks.
    Total birds in increments of 1
    Feed consumption calculation is based on males

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  2. jltaylor1974

Mar 31, 2015
    If anyone would like to try this let me know.

1 person likes this.
  3. ShannonR

ShannonR Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2015
    northern California
    This is pretty cool! Makes record keeping very easy, it's a tool I would definitely use with my next batch of broilers. I kept no records on the current batch, I just know they eat alot!

One thing I would like to see is some sort of allowance or something in the spreadsheet for wasted feed, because we all know that feed gets spilled, wet, ect. It would be nice to be able to figure that in as well.

4. greysandy

greysandy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    Very cool. You have inspired me to keep better records on my costs!

5. jltaylor1974

Mar 31, 2015
    It's not all inclusive but it allows me to maintain some better records and it's always a work in progress. I am constantly adding a new tab to track something else. I am working on Shannon's advice to add a tab for feed waste that subtracts the feed required for the birds and what is left over or thrown out and wasted to try and produce a result that would calculate wasted feed. I weigh my feed out each day so I know what I'm working with So I'm trying to come up with an easier method for those who don't spend that much time with daily feeding or even looking at weekly totals of feed used versus what was required for the birds and the difference would show waste. But the weekly used doesn't always mean wasted feed.

6. ShannonR

ShannonR Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2015
    northern California
    Thank you again for this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by