broiler feeds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Sugar Sand Farm, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    My DH wants to get some cornish crosses to raise for meat. The problem is noone around us sells broiler feed Can someone give me the name of the brand you use so I can google it and see if theres a feed store around us that sells it. Thanks Micki

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I couldn't get a specifically named 'broiler' feed either. My cornish x's are eating grower/finisher. They won't be around long enough to spend all the extra on starter feed. Once they are around 4 weeks old all of my table scraps and yogurt/rice/bread/boiled egg mixtures will go to them also.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    A grower/finisher sounds suspiciously like a meat bird feed. Broilers don't get a "Starter" like a hen would, so usually they are X/Y named feeds.

I know Purina makes "Flock Raiser" and Nutrena has a NatureWise line which has a broiler feed in it. Ultimately, there will be some regional or local mill who makes their own grains which will usually be the cheapest. Like up here in the NW, we have Alber's.

4. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Yes, Grower/finisher is the correct meat bird feed. It is the same feed you give layer hen pullets till they begin lay. I do feed meat birds chick starter but switch them off of it when they are about 3 times the size they were as day olds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by