broiler grower vs poultry grower plus an observation

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Hillsvale, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    So up until last week my meat birds have been eating poultry grower.. it just never occurred to me that there was broiler feed.

Last weekend we processed 7 - 9 week 2 day old meat kings, all dressed out to about 7 pounds with slightly yellow skin and fairly little fat.

This weekend we processed the remaining 15 of our first batch of birds.... these birds have been eating broiler feed all week. They still dressed out to 7 pounds but had a huge glob of fat inside their nether region and felt and looked like they were coated in lard.... is this because they were a week older, eating broiler feed or a combination of both. Has anyone else observed this?

If it is because of the broiler feed I am switching back... am sure they will taste yummy but they just didn't feel a as "clean" when cleaning up and frankly if they bag of feed these 15 ate only produced the blob of fat I will do without....

What say you?

On a different note the first 7 we butchered and the 8 yesterday were hand plucked.... deciding there must be a better way we bought a 4" PVC cap, lag bolt and a bunch of rubber "bungie" cords. I drilled a hole for the lag bolt in the center of the cap and 16 holes around the outer edge and pulled 4" pieces of ruber through the holes.. mounted on the electric drill fixed to a table of sorts.... voila, plucker. Worked really well.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. MacPoultry

MacPoultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    middle TN
    I have processed Cornish X from 7 wks to 9 wks. What I have noticed is that the older they were, the more fat they had.

3. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    so were you feeding them broiler grower or poultry grower.... the slimy fat really is yucky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by