Broiler litter question

Blazer2220

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 15, 2012
In the past i have used a tractor coop to raise broilers. It has worked well but I find that I have to move it almost daily to keep the ground from becoming to soiled. I usually raise 20-25 at a time in a 10x10 tractor. My tractor coop is too heavy and this becomes a pain. I have plans to build a much lighter coop but don't have the time right now. My question is that I have a 12x12 stall in a barn that is not being used. If I fill it with pine shavings to about 4 inches deep how often would I have to replace it or add to it? The initial cost in shavings would not be too bad but if I have to replace it too often it would quickly become too expensive to justify. I plan on putting about 30-35 broilers in this stall. If anyone has any experience raising broilers on litter I would love to hear any advice or opinions. Thanks in advance.

I raised 40 in an 8'x10' area using shavings - it was a bit of a pain (and I will plan on more room next time), but for the first few weeks, I didn't have to do too much top dressing. After that however, I put about 1/3 bag down every day or every other day, about 2 bags a week at the end. So, about 10 bags of shavings if I remember right. I made sure there was a lot of cross ventilation fairly low, so the ammonia smell didn't build up. The smell wasn't very bad - a bit more than the layers, but controlled with the ventilation and addition of clean shavings frequently.

The bedding was about a foot deep at the end because I wanted them to be sitting on clean shavings almost all the time. We shoveled it all out and dumped it all on the garden. After it sat for a few months, I tilled it in, and I had a ridiculous crop this year - only had to water during the drought. My single butternut squash plant produced 45 HUGE squash alone.

Thank you for sharing your experience with this. The more I think about it, I believe I will just go ahead and try it and it if becomes too much trouble I'll speed up my plans for a lighter tractor coop and go back to that.

Hello,

Can you keep us updated with your project? I have a 12X12 stall also. So I will be checking in everyday. I am thinking about Freedom Rangers for my meaties, and want to know how the DLM works for you.

Maye

Ride the Glide......Got Gait....I Do.....

We raised 50 in the spring in about a 12 X 12 area. It started to stink pretty badly towards the very end, but I really didn't want to buy one more bag of shavings for the last few days. One thing that helps TREMENDOUSLY is if you have an area that you can put them out in during the day. I just rake the poop out of the grass every few days and spray it down if needed. It really helps with the life of the shavings.

Thanks for the replies. Birds will be 3 weeks old next week. Think I'll move them into the stall then and see how it goes. I'll try and report back.

Back
Top Bottom