Broiler or layer?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MegW, Apr 30, 2016.

1. MegW

MegW New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    North central Ohio
    Ended up with a chicken who needed a home (long story). He's living with my khaki Campbell's, its super sweet but looking more and more like a broiler every day... I will butcher it if it's a broiler/Cornish cross because I know they can't live long before getting too big, but want to make sure it's not something else before putting it on the dinner table.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My other chickens are 5 weeks old, hoping they turn out as sweet as this one!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Looks like a broiler -- do you have an idea of how old it is?

3. MegW

MegW New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    North central Ohio
    Well I was told it was about 6 wks old when I got it, that was 3 weeks ago, but I was also told it was a layer, so not sure how reliable the info was.

It's feed is limited, shares about 5 lbs of feed each day with 18 ducks, and is getting around well, so if it is a broiler, I'm not concerned about it keeling over tomorrow, but I know it's something I'll need to address very soon.

4. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I would say meat bird.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree, meat bird.

You can keep Cornish Cross birds for longer term if you desire, and what you are doing is ideal for longer lifespan....limit their feed supply as they will literally eat themselves into oblivion and all manner of obesity and growth problems.

It is a problematic hybrid however, and unless you are willing to keep it as a pet and continue to monitor its feed intake, encourage exercise, and watch for health issues, it is best to eat it as they are very poor layers and can have fertility problems (males).

If you want to improve the meat portion of your line, you may consider breeding it and carefully hatching eggs. It will reduce the egg output of whatever breed you breed it to, but it will increase body mass.

If you want to eat it, put it on a meat bird diet, fatten it up, and enjoy it sooner than later. The meat only gets tougher the longer they live. They are meant to harvest for table by 6 to 12 weeks depending upon the strain and the feed care. Most of the health issues crop up the longer they live as they are not selected for longevity but exponentially faster growth and an arguably deformed body of thin bones, heavy meat mass, and oversized breast.

LofMc

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, that's a Cornish cross cockerel.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    it sure is

8. MegW

MegW New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    North central Ohio
    Everyone -- Thanks for your feedback. I suspected that he was a cornish cross... Just wanted to make sure before it came time to butcher him! While a little sad, since he's so sweet, he's serving his purpose, and I'll be sure to use all of him.

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    And you gave him a MUCH happier existence on this earth than most of his cousins...he ate, led a life of leisure with plenty of room to stretch and grow, got fat....

Plus you know where your food source came from, knew it was humanely treated and euthanized to serve a good purpose.

LofMc

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    x2 to all of this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by