1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broiler Rooster over free range hen? Your thoughts please..

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by pound4pound, Jan 31, 2014.

1. pound4pound

pound4pound Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2014
    watching, wild and free!
    wayback in my schoolboy years i had a pet broiler rooster who didnt grow wide. he instead grew tall like any other rooster. then my uncle gave me a broiler who happened to be a hen. i crossed them, thinking i will get some white fat offsprings. since the broiler hen lays an egg everyday, i took one egg and destined it for sunny side up and to my surprise, i got 2 yolked egg! i read that 2 yolkers will not hatch but now i had a broody white hen acquired from the market who lays eggs and im thinking if the broiler rooster can breed that broody hen, is there a chance that the hen can lay single yolker or hatchable eggs? thanks!

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    do you still keep the broiler rooster? if not, they you could feed restrict one since hatch and allow him to mature as natural as possible, let him free range with other birds, this will keep him on low weight which is necesary for him to mount.. if he is too fat no hen will take him

I once had a breeding project, restricted the feed on broiler pullets and have a dual purpose male mount them, incuvate the eggs and whatch how big this F1s got.. quite fast, not as fast as broilers but faster than your Dual purpose breeds

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by