broiler tips

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Evangelina, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Evangelina

Evangelina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    I will be raising Cornish cross (broilers) November 1st. Does anyone have any tips for raising Cornish crosses for show. Does anyone have a good and cheap-ish method for getting them the biggest for show? any help would be appreciated

-evangelina

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    i dont raise them for show, but ross and grub lines seem to be what people look for.

most people who raise them for fairs use turkey starter or feed 24% protein or higher.

hopefully someone else will come along with more info, i just noticed no one had answered so i thought i'd give what info i had.

3. Evangelina

Apr 20, 2013
    Thank you! Any information is helpful and appreciated

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  4. Evangelina

Apr 20, 2013
    does anyone know if shortening will kill my chickens? im thinking about giving that with their feed to fatten them up, im already feeding them buttermilk substitute (1 cup milk, with a tablespoon of lemon juice)

5. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    some people do mix in lard with their feed - usually at a rate of about 4 lbs lard to 150ish lbs of feed.

shortening is a little different hydrogen compound, its closer to plastic than lard from what ive been told.

black oil sunflower seeds will fatten them up too. i use 50 lbs in a 800 lb feed mix.

keep in mind if you get them to fat it makes it hard for the hens to lay their eggs.

6. Evangelina

Apr 20, 2013
    Thank you! I am now feeding them fermented feed, and gelatin ( unflavored, I read on a post on here that it is 83% protein and protein helps fatten them up) with there regular 26% feed. I will not be keeping them as regular hens, they are for show and they are 3 and a half weeks old. I need them as fat/ big as possible. The show is January 6th

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by