1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broiler w/ Huge Sack on Chest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blueheeler1998, Aug 17, 2011.

1. blueheeler1998

blueheeler1998 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    I have a broiler chicken that is 6 weeks old. She has a huge bubble on her chest that I thought was a ruptured air sac. I tried letting the air out by lancing it like I read to do on this site. It didn't work. Got a small amount off blood, but no air. She is half the size of the rest of the broilers. The lump didn't have any fluid come out of it, it is warm, it doesn't feel full of food like an impacted crop. I don't really know what else to try. The right size of her chest is biggest, but the left is also full of something. It is just half the size. Any suggestions would be appreciated. She is eating some, but gets pushed out the way by the bigger birds. I was going to seperate her today, but didn't know what was wrong. Didn't want her to gorge on food if that was something that could hurt her. Thanks in advance.

2. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Triple-check that it's not her crop (since that's on the right side of her chest). Look at her very first thing in the morning. If the swelling is her crop, it should be smaller in the morning because she won't have started eating for the day.

Does she seem to be eating normally?

I hope if it's a significant problem that she recovers quickly. Best wishes!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  3. blueheeler1998

blueheeler1998 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Hi. Just checked her this morning and it is pretty big and about equal on both sides of her body. She is eating and drinking, she isn't weak or sickly, she is just a lot smaller. She is also pooping. I tried lancing it again in a couple of different spots, still nothing comes out, no air, no fluid, nothing. I have no clue. I figure I will just let her be. The others are going to be processed next week. I will be keeping her around until it gets better or nature takes its course. I thought I might put her on antibiotics incase it is an infection.

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Wow--sounds like quite a mystery!
    This thread says fungus can cause this--http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3812
    This thread talks about crop rot--http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110505070644AA9Xewa
    Ascites?
    Lymphoid Leukemia?
    Peritonitis?
    or ??

I hope these can help or someone else can chip in some possibility.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by