1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broiler with air-filled chest

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PotterWatch, May 12, 2011.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a broiler with a chest full of air. It really does seem to be just air, not fluid, but I've never seen anything like it before. It's only one bird out of the batch (they are 6wks old but we noticed it about 5 days ago when we were moving the tractor). Anyone seen something like that before and what could it be? We are planning to cull the bird this afternoon if I can't find out anything about it and determine that it won't affect the meat. It doesn't seem to be a very big bird under that puffed up chest.

2. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We culled him this evening. I couldn't find any literature that told me what the problem might be and it's too big of a risk for me to eat a bird that might be sick. As soon as I cut the throat, the esophagus was bulging through the cut so there was definitely something wrong. I'd still like to hear from anyone who has seen something similar before.

3. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    I saw that subject discussed on the disease forum - if I remember correctly someone suggested deflating the bird with a pin to let the air out - do a search on the subject of air under the skin - hope that helps -

4. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks. I have done a few searches here and on google but haven't found anything that really tells me what the cause might be. I'll keep looking though!

5. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    I'm not sure exactly what causes it, but we did have a quail one time that filled with air. I did as JoePa mentioned and "deflated" it by sticking a pin in the air pocket. The air escaped and never had the problem again.

6. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Subcutanious Emphasiema

Basically one or more of the air sacs get ruptured and allow air to leak out of the respritory system into the space under the skin. Can be caused by direct injury or also possibly from respritory infection.

Drianing the air with a large hypodermic needle does work, Also antibiotics might be waranted to prevent secondary infection.

Given it was a 6 week broiler culling sounds like a good call too.

7. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks for the information! I'll know what to do if I see it again!

8. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Thanks. Learned something new.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by