broiler!! :)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bluefeather2697, Dec 21, 2011.

1. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    hi guys! i want to share to you how my cornish x pullet is doing. [​IMG] i got her as a chick last september, and she's in her 8th week now! [​IMG]
    keeping broilers is a big challenge for a newbie like me but i went on. and i think with a restricted diet, im able to 'slow' a bit her rapid growing nature. down there are some pictures of her a pic of her. does she look 8 weeks to you? for me she looks like 4, and im happy about it. i don't know if she will last, but im hoping for 2 years, she will be with me. [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    She looks hungry. LOL. I hope you are able to keep her going! Looking good so far.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    You're keeping her as a pet?

If so, please check out my post in the thread below (post #6).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=551431&p=1

She is a little beauty. I wish you VERY good luck with her. Don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done because it can. I am the perfect example of it being "done".

Keep us posted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Cornish X usually die of... what do they call it... FLIP. It's a fatal heart condition that causes heart attacks, basically. Hope she sticks around for you, but the odds are against her. Enjoy her while she's around! Heritage breeds are really the way to go - they mature more slowly, don't end up with as many internal laying/cancer issues as hatchery chicks and definitely outlive broilers. Hit up your state thread if you want more chickens and I'm sure someone will have heritage girls to share!

Good luck! She's a pretty bird!

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Are you sure she is a CX. All of the CX's that I have raised look like a fully mature bird at 8 weeks. I have had them lay.eggs and free range. If their food dish was empty they they would travel all around the yard, till they would find someone else's dish. Sometimes as far as 300 + feet. They were crazy. When we culled them they weighed close to 15 lbs and were still getting along well.

6. bluefeather2697

Nov 9, 2011
    Quote:Lol. haha [​IMG]

kuntrygirl wrote:

You're keeping her as a pet?

If so, please check out my post in the thread below (post #6).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=551431&p=1

She is a little beauty. I wish you VERY good luck with her. Don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done because it can. I am the perfect example of it being "done".

Keep us posted.

[​IMG]

yes, im keeping her. thanks for the thread and encouragement! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BlazeJester wrote:

Cornish X usually die of... what do they call it... FLIP. It's a fatal heart condition that causes heart attacks, basically. Hope she sticks around for you, but the odds are against her. Enjoy her while she's around! Heritage breeds are really the way to go - they mature more slowly, don't end up with as many internal laying/cancer issues as hatchery chicks and definitely outlive broilers. Hit up your state thread if you want more chickens and I'm sure someone will have heritage girls to share!

Good luck! She's a pretty bird!

i will try my best to keep her from that conditions. [​IMG]

7. bluefeather2697

Nov 9, 2011
    Quote:yes, im very sure that she's a Cornish Cross, i have 3 of them before. i gave the two cockerels to my neighbor who also wants to raise broilers as pets.
    she's in a restricted diet so she's looks smaller than a normal Cornish Cross. [​IMG]

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:yes, im very sure that she's a Cornish Cross, i have 3 of them before. i gave the two cockerels to my neighbor who also wants to raise broilers as pets.
    she's in a restricted diet so she's looks smaller than a normal Cornish Cross. [​IMG]

Yep. I didn't say so but she looks MUCH smaller than the last I had that were the same age. Obvious to me that her diet is keeping her healthier than free feeding does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by