Broilers in Chicken Tractor

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mrs_organized_chaos, Sep 22, 2018.

1. mrs_organized_chaos

mrs_organized_chaos Songster

May 13, 2018
    We put our 3 week broilers out in the chicken tractor today. It is going to be 50 overnight. Will they be okay? The tractor has a portion that has a roof and sides covered. It isn’t supposed to rain.They only had heat in the brooder for the first week and they have been in our garage since we got them. I went out and checked on them. They are sleeping in a pile and are not chirping excessively. They are mostly feathered and were outside in 60 degree weather with no issues. They were up scratching, eating, drinking, and trying to dust bathe in the grass.

2. ejtrout31

ejtrout31 Chirping

Aug 13, 2018
    deer river mn
    there fine

3. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2017
    The Tree Farm, Alberta
    They can cuddle together and stay warm, if you have some wood shavings I'd make a little box for them to sleep in .

4. EngeFamilyFarms

EngeFamilyFarms Chirping

Aug 29, 2018
    Michigan
    What bycforlife said☝️☝️

5. mrs_organized_chaos

May 13, 2018
    I did put some shaving in a corner under the cover but they spread it everywhere and piled at the front of the tractor. I guess they know what they prefer.

6. mrs_organized_chaos

May 13, 2018
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I don’t want to have them in the brooder anymore. It has just become a disgusting and unhealthy situation for all 26 of them. They seemed much happier in the tractor today.

Ridgerunner likes this.
  7. digbychris

digbychris Chirping

Apr 6, 2017
    I have my CX out in a tractor, and like you we've had nights in the 40's and 50's. They were 3 weeks old when I put them out and mostly feathered. I do have a heat lamp on at night if they want to use it. some do, some don't.

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Because they eat so much, they produce a lot of heat. I would not expect any problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: