1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broilers ??????'s

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by newchickenmomma, Jan 13, 2007.

1. newchickenmomma

newchickenmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Frankford, NJ
    hey all, I have a few questions about getting broiler birds.

1. where is the best place to get them?
    2. what kind of meat bird is best?
    3. how long does it take to raise them and on what?
    4. what is the easiest way to kill and clean/butcher them?
    5. also if you were going to sell them to people, how much would you sell them for?

I was thinking about getting some, and some people at my dh's job would like some, and I am clueless, i have never done it before so any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks all

Dawn ~NJ~

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    Great questions! I've moved this to meat birds so you'll hopefully get a good answer!

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  4. ChrisnTiff

ChrisnTiff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Crane, Missouri
    Hey Dawn there is a wonderful no frills hatchery in Quakertown, Pa. They only sell a few utility breeds of chickens and one is the cornish cross. They are very inexpensive and a really good quality bird. Depending where you are in Nj you may even be able to pick-up. www.moyerschicks.com

These cornish x usually grow out in about 6 to 8 weeks depending on how big you want them. We let ours free range so it takes a bit longer because they get plenty of exercise and we think this makes for a happier and tastier bird.

Good luck,

Chris

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  5. newchickenmomma

Jan 11, 2007
    Frankford, NJ
    thanks everyone so much

6. newchickenmomma

Jan 11, 2007
    Frankford, NJ
    how much would you sell them full grown, butched and unbutched to people? thanks

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    You know what... I've often wondered about this.... the price of "broilers". I can go to Safeway / Alberson's / Costco and get a fully cooked chicken for like $5-$8. It's amazing they can raise a bird, clean it, cook it, deliver it for so cheap.

Is there a market for "fresh, farm raised chickens", and is it enough to cover costs?

8. ChrisnTiff

ChrisnTiff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Crane, Missouri
    It would be very diificult for anyone in the small scale to produce a broiler chicken at even close to the cost of store bought. You would have to market your birds at a premium price as all natural or free range with plenty of sunshine etc. I believe our breakdown on costs would be about 5 to 6 dollars per 5 to 6 pound bird. This is the cost of the chick about a dollar shipped and about 25 pounds of feed which is about 8 dollars per bag of 50 pounds. This doesn't even factor your time or any equipment costs. I know people who do sell all natural birds for 3.50 a pound, but at 17.50 for a 5 pound chicken it has got to be a hard sell. Good luck,

Chris

9. newchickenmomma

Jan 11, 2007
    Frankford, NJ
    well I just ordered some broilers from moyers, they are $1.37 each and $5.00 to ship them. I am not sure yet who wants broilers and who would want fryers, or whatever, but they told me 10-12 wks for a 6-8 lb broiler. and 6-8 wks for a fryer or bbq, I am not sure I want to process them, so I might have it done, not sure who around here can do it though and the price, but I am wondering if I could get 10-12 bucks per processed bird, and 8-10 for unprocessed. There is not necessarily a "market" for them, but a few guys at my husbands job say they would love to have some, and I wanted some, so why not order some for both lol. thanks for the info everyone
    dawn ~NJ~

10. kentuckyroo

kentuckyroo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2007
    fordsville ky.
    I raised some of the broilers from moyers 3 or 4 years back and they were the best i have ever raised. i plan on doing it again this spring. it sure didn't take 10 to 12 weeks though. mine were huge in 6 or 7 weeks. by the time i butcherd the last ones they were as big a a small turkeys and real tender. but i did lose one to flip. it is best to start when they are about 2 lbs. this is what they call cornish hens. good luck and i believe you got the best broilers that can be bought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by